Pelvic pain is a medical problem, which can be found in both men and women, but it is most common in women. There can be gynecologic causes for pelvic pain in women and women in the age of thirty suffer more form chronic pelvic pain. Pelvic pain in men and women can also be caused due to abdominal diseases.
1. Non-Gynecologic causes - Infections in the intestinal tract can cause pain. Condition related to IBS (Irritable bowel syndromes) such as constipation, interstitial cystitis, diarrhea, bloating and infections in the intestine can cause pain. Interstitial cystitis, mesenteric adenitis, appendicitis, diverticulitis, nephrolithiasis, musculoskeletal causes and infections in the urinary tract, can cause pain.
2. Gynecologic causes - The pain can be caused by endometriosis, pelvic adhesions, vulvodynia or by infection. Pregnancy disorders such as preterm labor, miscarriage, abrupt placenta, uterine rupture, cysts, ovarian torsion or acute pelvic inflammatory disease can cause inflammation.
Endometrioses is the condition in which, the inner lining of the uterus attaches to the ovaries and fallopian tubes, and it grows outside the uterus. The condition causes pain during monthly cycle as the hormones released by the body cause the tissues to bleed.
Pelvic adhesions s a condition, in which, the adhesions bind the tissues and the adhesions can be seen during the pelvic examination.
Vulvodynia happens when the vulva suffers from pain due to inflammation.
3. Miscellaneous causes - Pain can also be caused due to injury to the lower abdomen and one of the rare causes for pelvic pain is weak ligaments.
1. Pain in pelvic region.
2. Pain in lower abdomen which can be constant or get severe after some time.
3. Pain in pelvic region, which stays for more than a month.
4. Difficulty in sleeping, depression, lack of energy.
The patient suffering from pelvic pain may have to undergo physical examination and the doctor may ask the patient to inform about medical history, sexual history and psychological history.
Tests done to diagnose the problems are urine test, blood test, ultrasound, and laparoscopy and bladder symptoms tests.
Different treatments are given for different types of pelvic pain
1. For excessive bleeding during the monthly cycle, the patient is given hormonal treatment.
2. For pain caused by nerve condition, narcotics and anti inflammatory medicines are given.
3. In some conditions, surgery may be done to reduce pain. (For example - For appendicitis the doctor may consider surgery).
4. Physical therapy is done in case of pain caused by musculoskeletal conditions.
5. For intestinal disorders or infection, the doctor may guide to take regulated diet. Nutritious diet rich in fruit and be vegetables may be needed for constipation and pain in intestine caused by improper diets.
6. Medication, yoga therapy and breathing exercises may be prescribed for certain conditions.
7. Pain caused by improper posture can be treated through physical therapy. Pain caused by joints dislocation can be treated through electrical stimulation.
8. Pain in women caused by adhesions and endometriosis, can be treated through medication and surgery.