The appearance of cradle cap is an erratic, yellowish, slippery, rough and grumpy skin rash that takes place in the scalp of new born babies. It is normally not painful and does not hassle the baby. It usually takes place in the initial twelve weeks after the baby is born. It usually occurs near the ear, the eyelids and the eyebrows. It may appear in any part of the body then it will be termed as seborrheic dermatitis.
It is commonly found in the countries, which are developed. And fifty percent of the babies are suffering from it. It is generally a mild one. There are very few cases when the cradle cap develops to a serious condition. It is not caused by any allergy, infection or bad hygiene. It is caused due to excess activeness of the sebaceous glands present in the skin of new born. These glands throw out a slippery substance that makes the old cells of the skin connects to the scalp because they tend to get dry and fall off. Certain scientists found the cause of this disorder that this occurs due to the undeveloped digestive system and they are not able to suck up enough biotin and vitamins of the B complex. If the condition is mild, it can be cured by the home remedies and if it develops to severe, it starts spreading all over and need medical treatment.
Here are some home remedies to treat cradle cap in a successful way:
1. Gently massage the baby's scalp with cold pressed vegetable oil. Let it remain on the scalp for about twenty minutes, then softly comb the hair to eliminate the flakes. After sometime, wash off the oil.
2. Mix one teaspoon of vegetable oil to a drop of lavender oil. Rub the solution into the scalp of the new born.
3. Submerge teabag that is made from any of these herbs like chamomile, meadow sweet, burdock, comfrey root or greasy elm bark to a cup of hot boiled water. Wait till it gets cool and then make use of this solution to wash the scalp of the new born baby.
4. If one is anxious about the scalp of the baby then he or she should consult his or her health care provider for infants. As he will be providing you with a quick treatment of cradle cap.
5. Washing the baby's scalp with a shampoo on daily basis may be fruitful.
6. Borage oil can be used to treat cradle cap successfully. This must be applied two times a day.
7. Massaging the scalp with a vitamin E or cod liver oil mixed with milk. It helps in eliminating the flakes.
8. Mineral oil and olive oil can also be used to cure the cradle cap. Let it be on the scalp for some time and brush the hairs softly to remove the flakes. And then apply shampoo and wash it off.
9. Remember to use a gentle shampoo for the new born baby.
10. The doctor may prescribe an ointment, in which hydrocortisone is present and is to be applied on the affected area to cure the cradle cap soon.