Whooping cough or pertussis is caused by the infection of bacteria Bordetella pertussis in the respiratory tract. The disease is called whooping cough because the person suffering from the diseases makes whooping sound on coughing. The disease easily spreads from airborne droplets, which are released by the cough of the infected person and the disease can be contracted if the person stays in the same room with the infected person.
People, who have been vaccinated against the disease, may not get the full-fledged infection of the illness. The person may have infection for either five days and it can extend to fifteen days, and sometimes, the disease stays for two months. It may infect an infant or child for many days and it can cause one of the longest infections.
1. Dry and irritating cough, in which, the person coughs for any times.
2. Infants may suffer from vomiting, although, they may not have fever.
3. Other symptoms include sore throat, sneezing, tears, tiredness, night cough, nose-bleeding and diarrhea.
Infants can be vaccinated at the age of 2, 3 and 4 months to prevent the infection. There is no cure for the disease, but certain antibiotic is given to reduce infection.
1. Ginger and garlic are effective in treating infections caused by bacteria. Syrup can be made from the extract of garlic and it can be given two to three times in a day. Ginger is also effective in treating cold. Raw ginger can be taken with salt or a paste of ginger can be taken with honey. Many people make a juice of lemon and ginger with salt and take it. Keeping raw ginger in mouth also prevents cough attacks.
2. Almond oil is rich in vitamins and it can be taken with fenugreek seeds extract and ginger juice.
3. Radish juice mixed with honey is also effective in treating whooping cough.
4. Raw onion juice can be taken with honey.
5. Turmeric powder can be taken with milk, or raw turmeric paste can be taken two to three times in a day.
6. Syrup made form raisins and sugar can be taken to cure cough. Many patients take juice of fresh grapes to cure the problem.
7. Tea made from aniseeds is effective.
8. Apply eucalyptus drops on chest or you can apply camphor powder on the chest and massage. Many people make a paste of garlic and mix it with mustard oil to massage on the legs and chest of infants to cure body pain caused by cough and cold.
9. Juice of carrot can be taken with honey.
10. A child or person suffering from cough should gargle with warm salt water to reduce infection on the throat and one should drink a lot of water to prevent constipation. If somebody is suffering from intestinal infection or constipation, one should take remedies to clean the intestinal tract from infections.
11. Eating freshly prepared diet, soups and fresh vegetables helps in getting the nutrition needed by the body to fight infections.