Urinary retention is a condition where the suffering person is unable to empty the bladder completely despite the urge to empty the bladder. It is more common in men than in women.
It can be acute or chronic. Acute condition develops suddenly. This is an emergency condition that needs immediate treatment. Chronic condition might seem harmless in the short-run, but if it exists for a prolonged period, can lead to infections or damage to the urinary tract and kidneys.
The major symptoms of urinary retention are poor force of urine in the form of a thin stream with pain, reduced urine volume, urge to urinate persists even after urination, and the urine bladder is distended and tender to touch.
1. Grapes contain potassium that allows urine to pass freely. Wash 5-6 leaves of grapes and mash in 100 grams of water. Sieve and drink when there is sudden pain in the kidney region due to urine retention.
2. Prepare a decoction by boiling the root of pashanbheda (coleus forskohlii / coleus aromaticus). Take approx. 50 ml of this decoction twice a day. This is a good home remedy for urinary retention.
3. Drink fresh coconut water. It is a diuretic and helps in the treatment of this condition.
4. Drink 50 grams juice of radish and its leaves. This will helps in relieving burning while passing urine. This remedy is also beneficial in case urine formation stops due to some problem in the kidney.
5. Pound a piece of cinnamon (dalchini) bark to make a powder. Take 1 to 3 grams along with a glassful of water.
6. Prepare a decoction by boiling few leaves of mint. Allow it to cool and then add some sugar. Take 20 to 40 ml every 4 hours.
7. Grind a walnut (akhrot) to powder. Take one teaspoonful morning and evening with cold water to clear pus or small stones in the urinary passage.
8. Prepare a decoction by boiling 3 to 5 grams of the flakes or powder of sandalwood and dissolve some sugar in it. Take this three or four time.
9. Take 20 to 30 ml decoction of the bark of the three-leaved caper (varuna) tree two or three times.
10. Take one gram of cardamom (elaichi) powder along with water or milk once or twice a day. This is also helpful in the treatment of urinary retention.
11. Ground two grams of cumin seeds (jeera) and two grams of sugar candy together and take this mixture along with water. It will clear urine and burning sensation during urination. Take thrice a day.
12. Pineapple juice is also helpful in clearing the urinary passage.
13. Carrot juice is useful for burning micturition, kidney and uretic stone, liver problems and anaemia.