Ulcerative colitis is inflammation of the intestine (large intestine), in which, the colon (the large intestine) may have open sores, which are called ulcers. There are many types of ulcerative colitis:
1. Pancolitis -The inflammation of entire colon is called pancolitis.
2. Ulcerative proctitis - Inflammation of the rectum is called ulcerative proctitis.
3. Distal colitis - Inflammation of the left side of the large intestine is called distal colitis.
3. Blood in stool
4. Loss of appetite
5. Skin lesions
6. In children, it can hinder the growth
7. Joint pains
8. Weight loss
9. The patient may have frequent urge to go for bowel movement and may feel weakness after bowel movement.
1. Abnormalities in the immune system
2. Emotional reasons, stress
3. Allergies to food products
5. Hereditary reason
6. Poor diet
7. Food poisoning
8. Use of drugs
Ulcerative colitis is a form of IBD and it can affect people of any age from fifteen to thirty, but it is not found much in people of above fifty years. The patient suffering from Ulcerative Colitis should administer the diet himself to be aware of the food products, which can cause allergy.
1. Goat's milk can be boiled and taken two times in a day.
2. Take steamed food, which can be easily digested. Food such as soups can be taken. Take freshly prepared food in lukewarm state. Taking lukewarm water with food helps in digestion.
3. Take food in small quantities many times in a day.
4. If the patient has flare ups, one should avoid taking food high in fibers. Fruits juices can be taken, but first peel off the fruits.
5. Bananas are effective in ulcerative colitis and it can be taken with curd.
6. Take buttermilk to cool the stomach and to enable easy digestion.
7. Drumstick can be taken but do not take fiber content of drumstick, if you have flare ups.
8. Rice can be taken with curd and salt.
9. Take fruits juices such as coconut milk, coconut water, cabbage juice, carrot juice, tomato juice (remove the peel) and plenty of water. Cabbage juice can be taken three to four times in a day. Coconut water can be taken twice in a day.
10. Take ripe papaya, sprouted grains, seeds and yoghurt.
11. Another effective home remedies for ulcerative colitis is apples. Cook apples after removing the peel and eat it twice in a day.
12. Reduce intake of food products high in salt and sugar.
13. Take boiled potatoes, fermented milk, pumpkin and squash, in food to get vitamins, minerals and proteins.
14. Raspberry leaves can be boiled in water and taken before meals to reduce internal bleeding.
15. Oats powder can be added to water and boiled. The mixture can be kept in vessels overnight and taken two to three times the next day. It is a useful home remedy for ulcerative colitis.
16. Avoid stress and take healthy diet. Do not take vegetables, which can cause flatulence such as broccoli and spinach.
17. Do not drink very hot milk, tea or coffee. Milk should be taken in lukewarm state and if you suffer from lactose intolerance, you can avoid milk and milk products. Stay away from food high in spices and preservatives. Avoid carbonated drinks, alcohol and smoking.