Tonsillitis is a common condition that can affect both children and adults. In tonsillitis, the inflammation of the tonsils is present at the rear end of the mouth. The inflammation may appear as redness on the area, or even white colored upraised spots or patches.
Inflammation of the tonsils may occur due to the infection, either by bacteria or by viruses. Generally, young children suffer from viral tonsillitis whereas adults and older children suffer from bacterial infections. Repeated attacks of tonsillitis can be very dangerous for children. It causes swelling in the tonsils and ultimately results into chronic tonsillitis.
Tonsillitis is a highly contagious disease that can spread very fast from one child to other. An affected child must be kept away from other healthy children to minimize the chance to start an epidemic. Tonsillitis is extremely painful and unbearable condition, especially in children. In the initial stages, one can try home remedies to get relief. However, in chronic cases, a tonsillectomy may be required to remove the tonsils.
The major symptoms of tonsillitis are sore throat, enlargement of lymph glands, fever, malaise, loss of huger, dry and irritant cough, runny nose, excessive thirst and feeling of chill, difficulty in swallowing, nasal congestion, coughing, sneezing and pain in the tonsils area.
1. Salt water gargling is one of the most common home remedies for tonsillitis. Add four teaspoons of salt in a liter of water. Warm the water, but not too much. Gargle at least thrice a day. It helps soothe the irritated throat and reduces swelling in the tissues.
2. The juices of vegetables like carrot, beet and cucumber, is an effective home remedy for treating tonsillitis. You may consume these juices separately or as a mixture.
3. Add lemon juice, a pinch of salt and little honey in a glass of hot water. It is a useful home remedy for relieving throat from pain and infection.
4. Fenugreek (methi) seeds are very useful to get relief from tonsillitis. Let the fenugreek seeds to simmer for a half an hour in the water and then allow cooling before gargling with this mixture.
5. Add a little amount of turmeric (haldi) powder and pepper (kali mirch) powder in the milk. Boil for five minutes. Allow it to cool to a manageable temperature and add little sugar. Drink it daily at night for 3-4 days. This will give relief from the pain and discomfort.
6. Dried and boiled figs (anjeer) are beneficial in reducing the pain and harshness caused due to tonsillitis. Mash these figs and consume with a spoon of honey. It is a very common home remedy for tonsillitis.
7. Due to the antibacterial property of turmeric (haldi), it is helpful in treating tonsillitis. Make a paste of turmeric roots in hot water and apply it externally around the throat.
8. Onion (pyaz) and ginger (adrak) are also valuable home remedies for tonsillitis. You can use their juices for gargling to reduce the pain in throat.
9. Make a decoction by boiling a few leaves of holy basil (tulsi), ginger (adrak) and cloves (laung). Add 1 tsp honey for taste. Take 20 ml, thrice a day.
10. Take honey regularly to prevent and cure tonsillitis. It has a very soothing effect on sore and irritated throat.