Sleeplessness is also called insomnia and the patient suffering from insomnia lack proper rest, which effects the overall functioning of the body. There are many people who could not take a proper sleep because of worries and tensions, and without the needed seven to eight hours of sleep, the person feels restless and lacking in energy to perform every day duties. Insomnia is common in old people as aging reduces the sleep requirement of the body changes. In old age the number of sleep hour reduces. Sometimes, insomnia is caused due to some kind of illness and sometimes, it may be caused due to intake of beverages such as tea or coffee, before going to bed.
There are many types of insomnia. Sometimes, the person finds it difficult to sleep the whole night, sometimes, he/she wakes up too many times in the night and if the person wakes up many times in a day, it can be a problem.
Sometimes, infants find it difficult to sleep properly in night and it can be caused due to improper diet or some kind of health problem. To get proper sleep the person should be healthy and should take a proper diet.
1. Person suffering from insomnia can try certain yogasansa, which helps in providing proper sleep. But the yoga posture should be done under the instruction of a yoga expert.
2. Papaver somniferum (khas khas) mixed with milk and sugar can be taken before going to bed. This is an effective home remedy for sleeplessness.
3. Breathing exercise helps in treating insomnia. Jogging, skipping and physical exercises are needed to enhance blood circulation and to get proper sleep.
4. Lavender, chamomile, lemon balm and celery seeds can cure sleeping disorder.
5. The sleeping schedule should be defined and everyday sleeping and waking up time should be fixed.
6. Applying hot packs to the spine and foot also helps in blood circulation and giving proper sleep.
7. One of the popular home remedies for insomnia is nutmegs. It can be powdered and taken before sleeping.
8. The person suffering from insomnia should not sleep for long in the day time and should not take sleeping pills because regularly taking pills is not good for health.
9. Watching TV late in night should be avoided.
10. Banana, yoghurt is good for curing insomnia and oily food should not be taken in night before going to sleep.
11. After taking dinner you can go for a walk. Dinner should contain excessive salt, chocolates or sugar.
12. Alcohol and smoking also depletes your energies and mental strength. Stress should be avoided and warm water bath can be taken before going to bed.
13. Piper longum or pipalli powder can be taken every night with jaggery and warm milk before going to sleep.
14. Mashed banana with cumin seeds can be taken after dinner. This is another effective home remedy for sleeplessness.
15. Valeriana wallichii is a good relaxant and it should be taken before going to bed.
16. Drinking orange juice or milk with honey and cinnamon also helps in curing insomnia.
17. To get proper sleep the nerves should be calm and body should relax. Sometimes, uncomfortable bed position or pillow structure may cause the problem.