Scabies is a kind of skin ailment in which the outer layer of skin is infected by mites which burrow or tunnel under it. The disease produces the pimple like rash called as scabies rash. It is very contagious disease which spreads very fast on handshake with the infected person. It spreads on skin to skin contact. It can spread through the infected cloths and bedding of the person.
The mites which cause scabies are usually transparent and of the size of a pinhead. These cannot be seen by naked eyes. These organisms feed on blood and lay eggs under the skin.
The most common symptom of the disease includes heavy itching at night. Skin gets red and it forms blisters. This all is the result of immune response to invading of the mites and their waste under the skin. Other symptoms include headache, fever and swelling on the infected parts. The commonly infected parts of body include that between the finger and toes, folds of the elbow, around the wrist, armpits, abdomen, nipples and buttocks.
The symptoms of the disease are seen in two to six weeks after the infection. But the previously infected people with the disease can show the symptoms in few days. The important point to note is that the disease does not spread from the pets. It infects and spreads only through humans. The infecting organisms cannot survive if they are away from the human body for more than three days.
The home remedies which are available for scabies are debatable in terms of their effectiveness, but they still can be used for various reasons including the shy nature and money concerns of the patient. Some of the proven home therapies for the disease include:
* Using calamine lotion and cold soaks to relieve the itch.
* Never try scrubbing the infected part with harsh soap or using kerosene.
* The day you start the treatment for the disease make sure that all the cloths, bedding, and car are washed or sprayed with an effective anti mite agent to avoid the further infection of the disease.
* One of the useful home remedies for scabies is apricot leaves. Apply the fresh juice of apricot leaves over the infected area.
* A very effective therapy which is proved from the ancient times is applying the paste of Neem, Turmeric and mustard oil on the infected parts before bathing.
* The finely powdered bark of Peepal (Ficus religiosa) tree can be applied on the infected organs. This is another useful home remedy for scabies.
* The juice from drumstick leaves and sesame seed oil when mixed in equal quantities and applied on the itchy parts give the relief from mites as both of the plants have proven antimicrobial activity.
* Having Neem leaf capsules daily for about two weeks, improves the immune system, increases blood circulation and hence effective against mites.
* The tea tree oil is an effective remedy against mites. Bathing in the water sprayed with it and applying the oil directly on the infected parts gives lot of relief from the itch and mites.
* Bathing with the water mixed with Neem oil and Neem soap gives an immediate relief from the itch and is an effective and time proven home remedy for scabies.