Prostate enlargement is a common problem in men above the age of fifty years. Prostrate gland is found around the urinary bladder and the urethra and if it grows, it can cause urine outflow, pain in nights and urination in the night. Prostrate tumor can grow to spread to other parts of the body. The problem is caused when the person is exposed to extreme cold, excitation, infectious diseases or constipation.
1. Pumpkin seeds can prevent prostate enlargement. The seeds have unsaturated fatty seeds. The powdered seeds can be added to the food or milk. It can even be taken with honey.
2. Saw palmetto is effective in prevention of enlargement of prostate glands. Saw palmetto contains enzymes, which can converts testosterone into another form, which prevents excessive accumulation of testosterone in the body. It also increases urine formation. It is also effective in curing benign hyperplasia.
3. Another herb called licorice is effective in treating prostate enlargement but if taken in large quantity, it may cause headaches.
4. The chances of infections in urine increases with prostate enlargement and the patient should take cranberry juice to prevent infection in the urinary tract.
5. Prostrate infection can be reduced by taking garlic and goldenseal. Some fruits such as juniper berries prevent swelling in the prostate glands.
6. Tomatoes are also helpful in curing prostrate diseases. It contains antioxidants, which can prevent prostate enlargement.
7. Some other herbs helpful to patients suffering from prostate enlargement are cayenne, queen of the meadow, ura ursi and ginger. These herbs are widely used as home remedies for prostate enlargement.
8. Vegetable juices can be taken to prevent prostrate problems such as juice of carrots and spinach.
9. Corn silk helps in reducing pain, caused by prostate enlargement.
10. Supplement of vitamins E and zinc, can be taken to prevent prostate enlargement.
11. Food containing a high amount of starch or sweets can irritate the prostrate and the urinary tract gets infected.
12. The patient suffering from enlargement of prostate gland, should not take diet high in spices and salts. Non vegetarian food such as meat and food high in carbohydrate such as cheese should be avoided. Smoking and alcohol may further deteriorate the condition and intake of beverages such as tea and coffee should be avoided.
13. You should not take meals very fast. Properly chew the food and take water either, sometime after the meal or before the meal. Food items which can cause infections in the intestinal or urinary tract should be avoided.
14. Hydotherapy or keeping hot and warm packs can provide relief.
15. Certain medicines of cold and cough contain a high amount of decongestants and the patient should avoid taking such medicines.
16. Avoid taking fluids one or two hours before going to sleeping and fluids should not be taken in large quantity in one time. Water and fruits can be taken at regular intervals throughout the day.
Irregularity and undisciplined life may exaggerate the problem. The meals should be taken on time and excess of anything should be avoided. The patient should not do excessive exercise or sit for long. Excessive eating or drinking should be avoided.