Pneumonia is a respiratory condition in which there is an inflammation or infection of the lungs. It is commonly caused by bacteria, virus, or other microorganism and sometimes by physical and chemical irritants. When bacteria and viruses enter the lungs, firstly they cause an inflammation. This is not a serious problem, but if the infected person has a weak immune system then this simple infection triggers pneumonia, which is an illness that should be treated as quickly as possible.
Pneumonia can range from very mild to very severe, even deadly. The severity depends upon the type of organism causing pneumonia as well as the age and underlying health of the patient. It can cause chest pain, difficulty in breathing and produce cough. Other symptoms that may be seen are fast heartbeat, fatigue, fever, loss of appetite, wheezing, nausea, mental confusion and coughing up sputum containing blood or pus.
The person suffering from pneumonia should undergo a diet of raw juices. After following this diet, when the fever subsides, the patient should spend three or four further days on a fresh fruit diet, taking three meals a day of juicy fruits such as orange, apple, grapes, mango, lemon, pineapple and papaya. Thereafter, he may slowly adopt a well-balanced diet of food consisting of grains, vegetables, fruits, seeds and nuts.
1. The juice of parsnip, a root vegetable is helpful in the treatment of pneumonia. Extract the juice of the leaves and roots of this plant and drink 250 ml of juice daily. The phosphorus and chlorine elements found in parsnip have beneficial effects on the lungs and the bronchial system.
2. Prepare a vegetable juice by mixing the juices of carrots, beets, cucumbers and spinach (palak) leaves. Drink it daily. This will help in the healing process.
3. Another valuable home remedy for pneumonia is holy basil (tulsi). Rub the oil of basil on the chest. You can also take the juice of few leaves of holy basil mixed with a pinch of ground black pepper (kali mirch) at six hourly intervals.
4. Onion (pyaz) helps in protecting the lungs from infection. It contains several ingredients, including quercetin, which has positive effects in treating pneumonia.
5. Prepare a tea with fenugreek (methi) seeds and black peppers (kali mirch). It is very effective during the early stage of the condition.
6. Make lemon juice stirred in lukewarm water with a pinch of rock salt. This will relieve coughing and congestion.
7. Certain herbs such as ginger (adrak), turmeric (haldi), black pepper (kali mirch), and fenugreek (methi) are good for lungs. Take them raw or cooked to expel mucous from the respiratory tract.
8. Stop smoking to keep your lungs clean, healthy and strong to fight off infection. Also, try to keep away from very humid or dusty atmospheres. As particles gathered from such atmosphere, get into the organs very easily and clog up the passageways.
9. Pound three to four bulbs of garlic (lahsun) and mix with equal quantity of honey. Take this mixture two times a day. This is a good home remedy for pneumonia.
10. Take 250ml of water mixed with 15gm of sesame (til), a tablespoon of linseeds (alsi), a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of honey daily to remove excess mucous from the bronchial tubes.
11. Crush few mint leaves and extract the juice. Take a teaspoon of this juice along with a teaspoon of honey two to three times a day.
12. Do not take heavy, fried meals. Eat only light, clean and healthy food.
13. Boil one or two cloves (laung) in 125 grams of water for five minutes, cool and drink it. It helps in treating pneumonia.
14. If a child is suffering from this condition, boil five leaves of holy basil (tulsi) and one clove (laung) in milk and make the child drink it.