Piles or hemorrhoids are inflamed varicose blood vessels, which occur in and around the anus or lower rectum. It is more common in women than in men. Piles appear as bluish colored swellings due to stagnated blood. It arises due to the increased pressure of internal or external veins around the anal canal.
Hemorrhoids can be both internal and external. Internal piles cannot be seen or felt unless they are severe. There is a discharge of blood in this type. External piles can be seen around the outside of the anus, and there is pain but not much bleeding. In some cases, the veins burst and this condition is called bleeding piles.
In case of internal hemorrhoids or bleeding piles, the internal veins are enlarged and inflamed. Sometimes there is excessive bleeding which results in anemia, general weakness and discomfort. There may be a prolapse of the rectum.
The major symptoms of piles are anal itching, blood on stool, lump near the anus, feeling pain while bowel movement, and pain during constipation. The veins in the anal region become varicose. In external hemorrhoids, there is an inflammation of the external veins. Pain is a regular feature that becomes unbearable while passing stools.
1. Take 3 to 5 grams of the powder of chebulic myrobalan (harad) twice with water or milk. This is a good home remedy for piles.
2. Add half gram of camphor (kapoor) in a piece of banana and take it in the morning on an empty stomach. Take this for 2 or 3 days both for dry as well as bleeding piles.
3. Apply a poultice prepared from turmeric (haridra) and hemp (vijaya). This is an effective home remedy for piles.
4. Make a powder by pounding the dried flowers of mesua ferrea linn (nagakesar) and take 1 to 3 grams with honey 2 or 3 times to get relief from bleeding piles.
5. Soak 2 to 3 figs (anjeer) in a glass of water overnight. In the morning mash them in the water and drink on an empty stomach. Repeat this home remedy for a few days. This will cure bleeding and non-bleeding piles within a week.
6. The raw fruit of bilva (bael) tends to arrest blood loss. Therefore, it is very beneficial in maladies where there is loss of blood from the body such as bleeding piles. Roast the pulp extracted from the raw fruit of bael; remove and mix into an equal amount of jaggery (gur) and take two or three times.