Most commonly oil skin is found in teenagers but people of any age can have oily skin. While the greatest advantage of oily skin is that it ages slower than other skin types, it causes a lot of problems. Women undergo much mental trauma and anguish due to these problems but home remedies bring a ray of hope for solving them.
The most common cause for oily-looking skin is the excess production of sebum or oil by the oil glands especially like the T-zone where oil glands are congested. There are other reasons like diet, heredity, hormonal imbalance, hot and humid weather, and sometimes oral contraceptive pills also cause excess sebum production.
Acne, blackheads, whiteheads, T-zone shines, large pores, coarse looking skin and other blemishes like scars, pitting and dull looking patches, looking more mature and aged are some of the problems caused by the oily skin. Also, any makeup however skilfully applied will look patchy and uneven cutting a sorry figure.
Both internal and external treatments are essential for complete and effective cure of problems caused by oily skin. A skin-friendly diet, necessary supplements like iron, vitamins - especially B2 and B5 etc., lifestyle changes and detoxing will form internal treatment. In some extreme cases, medication is given. Externally home remedies help in curing the problems mostly.
A sensible diet to get rid of toxins and reduce oil production and promote healing helps a long way. A low-fat, low-salt, low-to-nil sugar, protein-rich with lot of fibre will be the best.
* Reduce the amount of fat intake. No fried or greasy food. No animal fats. Avoid pork, butter, and pressed vegetable oils. Use olive oil, canola etc and try to cook with less oil.
* Take plenty of leafy green vegetables, sprouts and fruits.
* Drink a lot of water to keep the skin well hydrated and supple and to get rid of all the toxins.
* Avoid sugars, chocolates and junk food.
* Avoid soft drinks, alcoholic beverages.
* Exercise - aerobic and regular exercise to keep the weight down, helps the toxins being flushed away, keep the blood circulating normally and feeling more energetic and light.
When internally all the above will help reduce the sebum production, there are a variety of home remedies for external application.
They are used for cleansing, rejuvenating, exfoliating, detoxifying, cooling and soothing, moisturising and nourishing, astringent and stimulating, and antibacterial properties.
The skin must be kept very clean. Use plenty of hot water and soap to unclog the pores. Use a gentle soap. Remove makeup before going to bed.
Following are some cleansers to remove excess oil and act as astringents.
* Mix one teaspoonful of both lemon juice and cucumber juice and apply and wash off. This is an effective home remedy for oily skin.
* Cypress oil helps in balancing oily skin.
* Milk, yogurt, and lemon juice help in cleaning the skin.
* Mix one teaspoonful of both lime juice and witch-hazel and apply. This is a good home remedy for oily skin.
Different masks help. Mixing and blending the ingredients and applying it taking care to avoid the areas around lip and eyes and after fifteen minutes or so, washing in lukewarm water will help. These are a few of the packs that can be applied thrice a week or so.
* Mix one teaspoonful of both clay powder and honey and apply.
* Mix one teaspoonful of both aloe Vera juice and egg white and apply.
* Mix one teaspoonful of both essential oil of lavender or juniper and Fuller's earth and apply.
* Mix pulp of fruits like papaya or strawberry or cucumber or tomato puree with clay and apply.
* In the place of clay, we can use powdered rose petals, powdered peels of citrus fruits like lemon and lime, oatmeal powder or milk powder.
All these home remedies for oily skin will help in caring for the oily skin.