Mouth ulcers are open sores, which are painful white and yellow patches found inside the mouth. The pain of mouth ulcers increases, when a person takes salt or spices, and mouth ulcer can be mostly found in the cheeks, tongue, palate, lips or gums. The main cause for mouth ulcers is improper and irregular diet, which can cause constipation or hormonal imbalance in the body. Mount ulcers can be caused by anaemia, poor dental care, extreme change in climatic condition, stress, anxiety, irritation of chemicals or by herpes simplex virus.
Sometimes, mouth ulcers can be found in clusters at one point and, they can also spread in the mouth. If the mouth ulcer doesn't heal in seven to ten days, you should see a physician.
1. Fenugreek leaves can be boiled in water, and the warm mixture can be used to gargle. Coriander leaves can be used similarly. Coriander seeds can be boiled in water and taken three to four times in a day.
2. Mulberry juice can be taken for getting relief from the pain of ulcers.
3. Coconut milk is high in proteins and vitamins, and it is also effective in treating mouth ulcer.
4. Holy basil leaves are effective and can be taken with water five to six times in a day.
5. Raw tomatoes juice can be taken to cleanse the bowel.
6. A mixture of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda is effective against mouth ulcer.
7. Indian gooseberry is a high source of vitamin C and it can be applied to the ulcers. It also cleans the bowel.
8. Gargling with adulsa leaves helps in reducing ulcer pain.
9. Lemon can be taken with catechu to reduce ulcer problem. Even chewing betel leaves with catechu helps in mouth ulcers.
10. Curd should be taken in diet to reduce pain. Curd can be taken with banana to provide minerals and vitamins to the body, and to improve the digestion process.
11. If ulcers are caused due to constipation, the patient can eat fresh fruits rich in fibres to clean the bowel. Papaya and Sapodilla can be taken to get rid of constipation.
12. Gums massage with honey and coconut milk will be helpful.
13. Peppermint oil can be taken to reduce pain.
14. Turmeric powder can be taken with glycerine and applied to the ulcer.
15. Listerine gargle helps in cleaning the mouth, and reducing mouth bacteria that cause sores and bad smell.
16. Wet cold tea bag can reduce pain of the ulcer but it is not a permanent treatment.
17. Sugar candy can be taken with camphor and applied on the sores.
18. A mixture of salt and baking soda can be applied to the sore. It is painful initially, but helps in getting rid of the sore.
19. Grapefruit extract can be taken with water.
20. Aloe Vera can also be applied to the sores.
If the ulcers are caused due to stomach problem, the patient should reduce intake of beverages and hot spicy food, as it will increase the pain of the ulcer and also harm the stomach. Chips and junk food should be avoided and you can take boiled vegetables, fluids and soups in diet.