Liver is one of the most essential organs in our body. It performs many important functions. Without liver, you could not digest food and absorb nutrients and get rid of toxic substances from your body. It performs functions like filtering blood, reducing toxins and producing factors that help blood clot.
It works as a chemical factory, producing substances that perform vital tasks in your body. It also serves as a storage depot for sugar (glucose), which it releases when you need energy. It converts sugar into triglycerides (lipids/fats) and glycogen (a form of glucose/sugar stored by the liver) that helps regulates you body needs.
As with all organs of your body, the liver is also subject to a range of disorders and diseases. Severe complications may happen if you develop any liver problem. This could be jaundice, cirrhosis, hepatitis and enlargement of the liver, all of which are life-threatening conditions. Hence, it is very important to take proper care of your liver.
General symptoms that can indicate a liver problem are loss of appetite, pain in the abdomen and swelling, difficulty in breathing and coughing, discolored skin and eyes that appear yellowish, skin problems, itchy skin, bad breath, dark urine color, pale stool color, digestive problems, diarrhea, flatulence, fatigue, nausea, frequent headache, allergies and intolerances to foods and difficulty in losing weight.
1. Chicory (kasni) is a useful herb in the treatment of liver problems. The juice of the chicory plant promotes the secretion of the bile and is used in treating biliary stasis, bile obstruction, sluggishness of the liver, jaundice and enlargement of the spleen.
2. Hydrophila (gokulakanta) is used for treatment of hepatitis, jaundice and derangement of the liver. Prepare a decoction by boiling 60 grams root powder in half a liter of water for about half an hour. Take 30 to 60 milliliters of this decoction twice or thrice daily.
3. Dandelion (kanphul) stimulates the liver and the gall bladder for the proper utilization of fats within the body. The juice of dandelion is used in treatment of liver problems. It helps in the detoxification of the liver. Its tea is also beneficial in hepatitis.
4. Cut a lemon into two pieces and remove the seeds. Now cut this into four parts in such a way that the pieces are not separated. In one part put black pepper (kaali mirch), in one black salt, in one dry ginger (saunth), and in one sugar candy. Cover at night with a plate and in the morning, one hour before taking food warm this lemon in a pan and suck it. Do this treatment for 2-3 weeks. This helps in cirrhosis of the liver.
5. Barberry (jaundice berry) has beneficial effects in the treatment of jaundice. Make a bitter tonic from the bark of the barberry tree. Take quarter teaspoon of this tonic when jaundice strikes.
6. Detoxification of the liver is very important in case of liver problems. For this, you need to keep fast for a day. After that, do not eat foods that are difficult to digest. Eat plenty of legumes (beans and peas) and seeds, which contain arginine, an amino acid helpful in detoxification.
7. Henna is also a useful herb in the treatment of liver problems. Its bark is effective in the treatment of jaundice and enlargement of the liver.
8. Include garlic in your diet. Bitter vegetables such as bitter gourd and drumstick are good.
9. Indian aloe (ghee kanvar) stimulates the liver into carrying out its functions normally. It is beneficial in the treatment of jaundice and enlargement of the liver.
10. Drinking Chinese black tea is beneficial for a fatty liver. Go to a Chinese herbal store and get black tea. Drink this tea two times a day.
11. Trailing eclipta (bhangra) is helpful in the treatment of catarrhal jaundice and liver enlargement. Prepare a decoction of the juice of the herb and add essences of cardamom and cinnamon. Take one teaspoon twice a day.
12. People with liver problems often lack sufficient K. Hence, include plenty of raw fruits and vegetables, especially leafy greens that are high in vitamin K.
13. Turpeth (nisoth) is beneficial in the treatment of jaundice. Take one to two teaspoons of turpeth powder in hot water twice a day.
14. Take a glass of buttermilk and add a little salt and some roasted cumin seeds (jeera). Drink it early in the morning. This keeps the liver healthy and protects it from disorders.
15. Milk thistle (silybum marianum) is useful in the treatment of chronic liver disease and protect against toxins. Go to your local health food store and get milk thistle tablets. Take milk thistle daily as directed on the label.
16. Indian sorrel (amboti ki patti) is used in the treatment of jaundice. Extract the fresh juice of Indian sorrel and mix with buttermilk made from cow's milk and take it daily during jaundice.
17. Spearmint is useful in the treatment of liver enlargement. Take its juice sweetened with sugar for ten days.
18. Eat chia seed (salvia hispanica) on a daily basis. It is full of Omega-3 and anti-oxidants, along with other nutrients. It is used to reduce fatty liver, cholesterol, blood sugar and fat.
19. Take the juice of two raw oranges once a day for up to a week. This will help in strengthening and rejuvenating your organ. A mixture of carrot and spinach juice is also beneficial.
20. Avoid all fried, spicy, and salty foods. Take cow's milk or goat's milk instead of buffalo's milk. Use buttermilk instead of curd.
21. Extract the juice of about ten papaya seeds. Mix it with a teaspoonful of limejuice. Drink this juice once a day. You can also consume at least half a papaya every day.
22. Take a regular diet of eggplant (brinjal). This helps to reduce the enlargement of the liver and to bring it back to its original size.
23. Extract a half-cup juice of bitter gourd (karela). Add some salt in it. Drink this in the morning on an empty stomach. This is an effective home remedy for liver enlargement and other related problems.
24. Eat fiber rich foods to avoid constipation. When your colon does not eliminate properly, toxins build up in your body, making your liver work overtime. Raw fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, beans, sweet potatoes and prunes are good source of fiber.
25. Painkillers and certain other drugs can affect your liver if taken for a long duration. Avoid drugs and painkillers and use natural remedies for pain relief.
26. Take 25 mg fresh Indian gooseberry (amla) or 4 grams dry Indian gooseberry with water thrice a day for 15-20 days to cure all liver problems.
27. Include foods that are high in omega-3 fatty acids as they help in the protection of liver and may prevent liver cancer. Olive oil, walnuts, flaxseed and cold-water fish are good source of omega-3 fatty acids.