Liver and spleen are very important organs of the human body. Liver helps in converting plasma into blood and the spleen helps in eliminating unwanted bacteria from the body. Any damage to these organs, including an enlarged liver and spleen, can lead to fatal complications in the body, even result in death of the patient.
The condition characterized by liver enlargement, owing to infection, metabolic disorder or direct toxicity is referred as hepatomegaly, while the condition characterized by enlarged spleen, due to any disease which triggers red blood cell destruction in the spleen, is referred as splenomegaly. The major symptoms of splenomegaly are enlargement of the spleen generally caused by some chronic ailment, acute pain in the left abdominal region, mild fever and anemia, general weakness and debility.
1. Take one gram of the powder of picrorhiza kurroa (kutaki) twice a day with honey or buttermilk. This is a good home remedy for spleen enlargement.
2. Take 20 ml of the fresh juice of aloe vera (ghritkumari) twice.
3. Prepare a powder by pounding 2 to 4 grams of the seeds of mustard (sarso). Take this twice a day. Local massage of mustard oil on the region of the enlarged spleen is also beneficial.
4. Prepare a decoction by boiling flowers of bombax ceiba (silk cotton tree, shalmali). Take 10 to 20 ml three times a day.
5. Take old jaggery (gur) 1.5 grams and the peel powder of chebulic myrobalan (harad) in equal quantities and make it in a tablet form. Take one tablet daily in the morning and evening with lukewarm water for 30 days.
6. Take half-cup bitter gourd (karela) with little salt on a daily basis. This is very useful home remedy for spleen enlargement.
7. Mix some turmeric (haldi) powder in the pulp of aloe vera (ghritkumari), heat the mixture on low flame then tie it in a cloth and put it on the region of the enlarged spleen. This is another effective home remedy for splenomegaly.
8. Half cup juice of fresh chenopodium album (bathu) with little salt is a beneficial home remedy for enlarged spleen.
9. Papaya is also useful for spleen enlargement.
10. Eat long eggplant (brinjals) on a daily basis to help restore the spleen to its original position.
11. Take dandelion and yellow dock to promote liver health and relieve the blood of toxins.
12. Take garlic, ginger, barberry, cascara sagrada, catnip, blessed thistle, fennel, and safflower to help heal the liver.
13. Do not drink alcohol or alcoholic beverages.
14. Wash 4-5 leaves of sacred fig (ficus religiosa). Mash them with sugar candy and add 250-300 mg of water in it. Sieve the mixture and drink this two times a day. This is good home remedy for liver care.
15. Reduce intake of fat by 30-40 grams per day as in liver damage, bile secretion and digestion is affected that hinders the fat absorption.
16. Drink juice of two fresh oranges on empty stomach for a week. This is a good home remedy for liver enlargement.
17. Take 50 grams of white radish leaves and stem, and mix sugar candy (misri) in it. Swallow this mixture every morning on empty stomach for good liver health.