Jaundice is easily recognized by its symptoms of yellow coloration of the skin and sclera, due to the excretion of too much bilirubin (a reddish-yellow pigment found in bile) in the blood. Bilirubin is produced during the breakdown of heme, a component of red blood cells. This pigment is responsible for the yellowing of the skin and eyes of the jaundice patients.
Other symptoms are dark urine, pale colored stools, yellowish nails and face, burning sensation in the body, weakness, dryness of mouth, indigestion, slight fever, weak pulse, loss of appetite, bitter taste in the mouth, distended abdomen, vomiting sensation, itching and body ache, and pain and tenderness in the right, upper part of the abdomen. In chronic jaundice the symptoms are vertigo, headache, loss of memory, sleeplessness, liver enlargement, spleen enlargement, severe itching at night etc.
The cause of jaundice can be either damage of the liver cells due to an infection, inflammation of the bile duct due to presence of gallstones, or destruction of a large quantity of red blood cells. Home remedies for jaundice are helpful in relieving and reducing the severity of the condition.
1. Soak 100 grams of dried tamarind (imli) and 50 grams of plums in water overnight. In the morning mash them and add some black salt. Drink this liquid.
2. Drink 15 to 20 ml of the juice of radish thrice a day. This is an effective home remedy for jaundice.
3. Extract the fresh juice from henna leaves. To 5 to 10 ml of the juice, add a moderate amount of sugar and take this twice on an empty stomach.
4. Pound the rhizome picrorhiza kurroa (kutaki) to make a powder. Take one gram of the powder twice with warm water.
5. Extract fresh juice from aloe vera (ghikumari). Take 20 ml twice on an empty stomach. This helps in the treatment of jaundice.
6. Pound phyllanthus urinaria (bhui amlaki) into a paste, mix it into buttermilk and take it on an empty stomach. This is an effective home remedy for jaundice.
7. Pound eclipta alba (bhringraj) and extract the juice. Take 20 ml of this juice twice daily.
8. Extract the juice from white onions (pyaz) and mix 2 to 3 tablespoon of this juice with one-fourth teaspoon turmeric (haldi) powder and some sugar. Take it twice a day.
9. Pound fresh leaves of spinach (palak) and extract the juice. Take this juice two or three times.
10. Giloy is another useful home remedy for jaundice. Pound giloy (guduchi) and extract the juice. Take 20 ml of this juice twice daily.
11. Sugarcane juice is one of the best natural remedy for the treatment of jaundice. Sugarcane tends to improve the functioning of the liver and acts as a strength booster.
12. Take 10 to 20 ml of the juice of bitter melon (karela) twice, preferably on an empty stomach.
13. Due to impaired bile secretion, digestion and absorption of fat is affected. Therefore, decrease the intake of fat.
14. Steam preparations are light and healthy for jaundice patients. Avoid tea, coffee and tobacco as they affect the functioning of the liver.
15. Minerals such as iron and calcium are required in good amounts. Multivitamins and excessive intake of boiled cool water is helpful in jaundice.
16. Increase protein and carbohydrate intake. Freshly harvested wheat, barley, rice and corn are not good for the liver. They should be consumed only after preservation for six months or more. Wheat is preferred over rice for liver patients.
17. Alcoholic drinks are not good for liver patients. It should be diluted and taken in very small amount. Take alcoholic drinks along with food or other alkaline items that neutralize the effects of alcohol. However, it is always better to avoid it completely.