Hiccough or hiccup is medically known as singultus. It is one of the most irritating involuntary reflex actions. Any type of irritation caused in the diaphragm muscles results in erratic breathing producing sound. Other possible causes of hiccoughs could be lung infection, kidney disorder, stomach problem, overeating, sudden excitement, eating hot spicy food or eating too fast. Home remedies for hiccups are very helpful in relieving and reducing the severity of the condition.
1. Add two teaspoons of salt in half bowl curd and mix it properly. Eating this curd is beneficial home remedy for hiccups.
2. Cut fresh ginger (adrak) into small pieces and suck these small pieces of ginger slowly to get relief.
3. With the onset of hiccups, take half to one teaspoon of honey instantly.
4. Crush 5-6 green cardamoms (chhoti elaichi) and boil in two cups of water till it reduces to one cup. Allow it cool down and sieve it. Drink it slowly when still lukewarm. This is very useful remedy and soothes the irritation in diaphragms.
5. One of the simple home remedy for hiccups is to drink water recurrently in short intervals. You can also gargle with lukewarm water.
6. Inhaling black pepper (kaali mirch) powder is another common remedy for hiccups. This will result in sneezing, which is a fierce movement of respiratory tract, hence putting an end to hiccups.
7. Cover your ears and drink water in fast gulps without giving gap to breathe. This is very common home remedy for hiccoughs.
8. To stop hiccups immediately, mix half teaspoon clarified butter to half teaspoon of mustard seeds and swallow this mixture.
9. Another simple home remedy for hiccoughs is to swallow one tablespoon of sugar slowly.
10. Massage the region at the back of the neck where the nerves are much accessible. Massaging these nerves stimulates them and stops the hiccups.
11. Another useful natural remedy for children is to make them hold some sugar below their tongues and then allow them to drink a glassful of water. This will give immediate relief.
12. Chew two to three cloves (laung) slowly and then drink a glass of water. This will give some relief.
13. For immediate relief from hiccups, suck crushed ice. This home remedy for hiccups gives instant relief.
14. In case of children, give a spoonful of peanut butter or honey. It should be swallowed at once, without retaining it in the mouth. Alternatively, a spoonful of curds sweetened with sugar is also beneficial.
15. Inhale the fumes of a burnt piece of Asafetida (hing). This is a useful home remedy to stop hiccoughs.