Skin being the largest organ of human body and most visible is difficult to ignore when it comes to ailments. Skin is the vital organ and the first line of defense for the human body for protection against all types of infections and infecting organisms. So it is very prone to infection, burns, cuts, bruises and scrapes.
Eczema or Dermatitis is a disease of skin in which skin inflammation along with redness, scaling, flaking, thickening, color changes, weeping, crusting and itching occurs.
The causes of the above conditions as identified include the allergy to various materials, plants and chemicals such as gold, silver, rubber, latex, perfumes, soaps and cosmetics. The other type of allergy includes allergy to food. The people with low acid production in stomach are more prone to food allergies and hence leading to dermatitis. The irritants which causes the allergy on skin leading to dermatitis includes - soaps, detergents, cleaning products, temperature changes, perfumes, cosmetics, dust, pollen, fungi, moulds, stress, anxiety, excessive sweating, wool, and other cosmetics like antiperspirants.
The various types of home remedies which can be applied to treat the eczema or dermatitis include:
* The oatmeal baths can help reduce the inflammation and itching due to dermatitis. This bath can be prepared by simply adding a cup of oatmeal in the normal warm water bath. After applying this to your body, apply a moisturizer to the skin.
* A natural skin bath consisting of various herbs such as comfrey root, white bark and elm root can help reduce the itching due to Eczema. Mix the ingredients in the boiling water bath and apply to skin on cooling.
* The dehumidified air elevates the conditions of Dermatitis. This situation is present mostly in the winter season when the forced-air heat circulates in home. So to prevent Dermatitis or Eczema humidifying the air at home is of primary concern.
* The dry and patchy skin should be kept moist at all times to prevent the itching and other symptoms of Dermatitis from elevating.
* Bathing can alleviate the symptoms of Dermatitis is an old belief and been proved wrong by the research now. However excessive bathing can be aggravating the condition. So, bath with lukewarm water. Avoid contacting the too hot or too cold water.
* Using soap while bathing can be harmful if you are not using a moisturizer after it to help prevent the skin from drying out.
* Try using the cotton clothing next to skin. This has a soothing effect on skin rather than wool or polyester. Avoid using the synthetic and itchy cloths.
* The antiperspirants which have metallic salts as their constituents often irritate the sensitive skin. Use the antiperspirants with non irritant ingredients.
* The artificial colors nail paints and manicure can be very harmful to the sensitive skin. These had been identified as the major cause of most of the skin allergies. If you face an irritation or other skin disease on contacting them, avoid them and this can be the only possible cure in most of the cases.
* Applying calamine lotion on the skin can help improve the condition of most of the cases of Dermatitis including weeping Dermatitis.