Earache, also known as ear pain or otalgia is a very common problem for both children and adults. An earache is generally caused by an infection of the ear. Bacteria, viruses, and fungi can cause such infection. The buildup of pressure in the eustachian tube is one of the major causes of pain. Sinus infections and tonsillitis also result in earache, especially among children.
Earache can also be caused by pain and inflammation of the pinna (the outer part of the ear). In children, it is often caused by a build-up of fluid and pressure in the middle ear (the area behind the eardrum), which usually happens when the child has a cold or allergy. The accumulation of fluid in the middle ear can lead to an infection. A child with an ear infection may show symptoms such as ear pain, persistent crying and tugging at the ear, hearing difficulties, fever, fussiness, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and irritability. Other causes include ear canal irritation from cotton tipped swabs, water from bathing, or shampoo or soap retention.
In adults, earache may be caused by wax buildup, fungus growth in the ear, infection in the nose, mouth or throat. If you have an earache and you feel that it is getting worse, the best thing to do is to visit a doctor. The doctor will examine your outer ear, ear canal and eardrum with an otoscope. The examination may also include the nose, throat and mastoid. However, if a doctor is not around you, there are several home remedies for earache, which will provide immediate relief from the pain.
Warm, damp compresses are a traditional treatment for earache. Most ear infections can be treated successfully with antibiotics. Earache home remedies are very effective. The use of home remedies to help alleviate pain can be very helpful whenever you get this painful condition.
1. Grind few holy basil (tulsi) leaves and extract the juice. Put two drops inside the ear. This is very effective home remedy for earache.
2. Boil 3-4 cloves of garlic (lahsun) in some water. Crush them and add a pinch of salt. Wrap this poultice in a flannel or woolen cloth and place on the aching ear. This gives relief from the earache.
3. Warm few drops of olive oil in a spoon. Apply2-3 drops of this oil in each ear, after the oil has cooled down. This may help with what may be irritating the ear. This is one of the popular home remedies for earache.
4. A good home remedy for earache is garlic. Crush few garlic (lahsun) cloves and pour the juice in the ear. Garlic being a natural antiviral and antibiotic will help to relieve the pain. You can also eat one or two cloves of raw garlic each day to kill the bacteria that may cause infection.
5. Eat vitamin C rich foods to boost your immune system. Vitamin C is a natural antibiotic and antihistamine that helps to reduce inflammation and fever.
6. Put some drops of warm onion (pyaz) juice inside the ear and your pain will just disappear in a moment. This is very simple home remedies for ear pain.
7. Make a blend of oils of tea tree, lavender and chamomile. Massage this oil on the outer part of your ear or the oil can be dipped on a piece of cotton and then place this into your ear.
8. Mix drops each of garlic oil, eucalyptus essential oil and grapefruit seed extract. Apply this oil inside your ears with a dropper several times daily. This will relieve your pain.
9. Add a clove of garlic (lahsun) in a teaspoonful of sesame (til) oil and heat it on a flame till it becomes a little hot. Put 3-4 drops of this oil in each ear, after the oil has cooled down. This is very effective home remedies for earache.
10. Put some fenugreek (methi) seeds in mustard (sarso) or linseed (alsi) oils. Then warm this to some extent. After that, cool and then filter the oil and apply it inside each ear. About 3-4 drops of the oil will helps in relieving earache.
11. Grind few tender leaves of mango and extract the juice. Put 3-4 drops in both the ear. This is another useful home remedy for ear pain.
12. Pour 2-3 drops of warm mustard oil before having meals to prevent ear problems. Do it once a week and excretions of the ear will come out, preventing problems, including deafness and making the ears strong.
13. Add two cloves of peeled garlic (lahsun) in two tablespoons of mustard (sarso) oil and heat it. When it turns black, take it off the flame and cool it. Sieve it in a bottle and pour it once a week in the ears. This will prevent ear disease, dryness, and improve hearing.
14. Do not prick your ears with finger, as there is the possibility of infection. Also, do not insert hairpins, cotton wool, or paper clips to remove wax. Clean from outside with cotton tipped swab because earwax has a tendency to come out by itself.