Dry skin is one of the common diseases that haunt people who are conscious to their look and health. Dry skin results in the situation when oil glands in our body release less oil. Also this problem mainly arises during winters when humidity is quite less. The areas which get mostly affected are arms, thighs, cheeks, around abdomen and chest.
Skin gets tight and rough after wash and also shows cracks on the skin in most cases.
Two factors which are responsible for Dry skin are:
Environmental factors: Pollution, use of excess make-up, constant sun exposure, cold, use of harsh soaps etc are the main environmental factors.
Nutrient Factor: Deficiency of vitamin A, E, C and B cause dry skin.
The old saying "Prevention is better than Cure" is very much true for the treatment for dry skin. Though it's true that Dry skin can't always be fully prevented because of the many reasons however we can take some steps to prevent it from becoming incurables illness.
Therefore it's recommended to keep ourselves less exposed to direct sun light. Take proper nutrition and go through adequate exercise regime. One should also make sure to consume balanced quantity of vitamins.
Below are some dry skin prevention ideas:
1. Drink lot of water ( Ideally 6-8 glasses per day which is generally recommended to prevent dry skin and for good health)
2. Consume walnuts, fish oil, seeds to increase fatty acids in body.
3. Avoid using intense perfumes and antiperspirants
4. Avoid bathing for longer hours, particularly in winters
5. Don't scrub the affected part with pads or face cloths rather use a soft towel.
6. Sweating is also is a nice way to cleanse your body from accrued pollutant.
No matter how critical is a problem, there is always something that can be done! The first thing to do is to be positive and change your mood. If you are stressed and unhappy, you can not be healthy. Dry skin is something which can be cured by following certain ideas and protocols and you won't need to go beyond your kitchen to implement that!
1. Massage the affected skin area with olive or almond oil every night before sleeping. This is very effective and really good home remedy for dry skin.
2. Soak the face in lukewarm water for 10-15 minutes. Do not use hot water to clean the face particularly in winters.
3. The lotion, prepared by mixing proportionate quantity of egg yolk, orange juice, clove oil and rose water with some drops of lime juice help reduce dry skin symptoms. You can apply this lotion on the face 15 minutes before taking bath. Very useful home remedy for dry skin.
4. To make your skin soften and smooth, use tomato juice with some lemon drops. You can apply it on affected parts and after sometime wash it with normal water.
5. Aloe Vera gel also comes out very helpful after every bath. Drinking Aloe Vera juice in morning is another way of using it.
6. Adding few drops of oils like lavender or oat extract in bathtub is also useful home remedy for dry skin.