In diarrhoea, there is looseness of bowels and an increase in frequency and fluidity of stools. The stools turn more in volume. The affected person feels weakness and dehydration. Signs of dehydration in diarrhea are cold, clammy hands and feet, inability to drink, unconsciousness and lethargy. There is complete loss of elasticity of the skin, absence of tears, severe reduction in volume of urine and very dry mucous membrane of the mouth.
In cases of acute diarrhea, oral rehydration therapy is the best treatment to get relief. In case of children the rehydration therapy should be started as soon as the child starts having loose motions or vomiting. Some home remedies for diarrhoea are very helpful in relieving and reducing the severity of the condition.
1. Extract the pulp of the fruit of bilva (bael) and roast it. Mix it with equal amount of jaggery (gur) and take it twice a day. This is very useful home remedy for diarrhoea.
2. Pound the dried seeds of bilva (bael) into a powder. Take 3 to 5 g with water two or three times.
3. Pound dried ginger (sonth), nutmeg (jaiphal), seeds of bilva (bael) and sugar-apple (atis) into a powder. Take approx. quarter a teaspoon of this powdered mixture twice with water. This is a useful home remedy for diarrhoea.
4. Make an infusion with the bark of Acacia Nilotica (babul) and take it every six hours.
5. The roasted seeds of isabgol bind loose stools and are useful in treating this condition.
6. Take equal amounts of dried ginger (sonth) powder and powdered rock salt. Mix quarter teaspoon of the mixture with some jaggery (gur) and take this twice a day.
7. Take 1 to 3 grams of the powdered seeds of heena. These have the tendency to bind stools.
8. Another useful home remedy for diarrhea is black plum. Take 3 to 6 g of the powder of the dried seeds of black plum (jamun) in chronic diarrhea.
9. Mint is also beneficial in this condition. Make a paste by powdering together mint leaves and onions and take 1 to 2 teaspoons of this paste 3 to 4 times a day. You can add salt for taste.
10. Nutmeg (jaiphal) binds loose stools. Powder nutmeg and take half to one gram twice a day along with water or buttermilk. It also reduces the after-effects such as loss of taste, weakness and fever.
11. Roast the kernel of the mango fruit. Pound it into a powder and take it with black salt and lemon juice.
12. Take plenty of fluids in the form of oral rehydration therapy to get relief from this condition.
13. Take a powder prepared from the dried flowers of the mango tree. This is also useful in relieving the condition.
14. In case of bloody diarrhoea, mix fruit of bilva (bael), dry coriander in equal quantities and sugar candy in double amount together. Take five grams of the mixture with water three times a day.
15. You can take light milk according to the frequency and consistency of loose motions.