Breast milk is secreted from mammalian glands of the breast and for the first six months breastfeeding is the best way to provide food and nutrition to a baby. The milk is helpful in improving the immune system of the baby and it is easy for the mother to give breast feed anytime as compared to other forms of baby milk products, which needs sometime for preparation. Breast fed babies have less problems of bowel movement and intestinal infection, and the mother can reduce the uterus size to normal by giving breastfeed. It even helps the baby to bond with the mother and feel emotionally safe.
A mother may have low milk production because of improper food, excessive intake of tea or coffee, alcohol intake, stress, tension or lack of rest. The baby should be positioned properly to find it easy to swallow milk because uncomfortable posture may harm-both mother and the baby.
1. Alfalfa is high in minerals and vitamins and it can be taken to produce healthy milk.
2. Fenugreek seeds can be taken with milk and water, to improve milk production.
3. If the breast milk is less because of high stress or anxiety, mother should take brewer's yeast.
4. Anises are used to enhance flavour of food and it can increase lactation.
5. Unripe papaya can be taken frequently in diet.
6. Cumin powder with milk can be taken after dinner.
7. Barley boiled with fennel seeds helps in increasing milk production. Fennels seeds can be crushed and taken with boiled water.
8. Some new mothers suffer from pain in the breasts and to get rid of such pains, almond oil massage can be taken. Bitter gourd is also effective in killing germs and it can be taken with lemon juice.
9. Alcohol should not be taken as it can harm the baby. Alcohol can even reduce milk production.
10. Milk thistle is useful home remedy for increasing milk.
11. Movement of arms allows eases the flow of milk and reduces blockage. Dandelion can be used to treat mastitis (inflammation of the breasts).
12. The position of child should be changed every time, while giving feed. Hot towel can be kept on the breast before giving breastfeed. Mother should take complete rest and have proper sleep to stay relaxed while giving breastfeed.
13. Tea and coffee can lower the amount of milk produced.
New mothers may suffer from fever and pain initially when the milk comes in breasts. Taking less oily and less spicy food helps in the initial weeks of lactation. Taking medicines such as anti depressant may delay lactation. Mothers of newborn should not wear tight shirts and should not apply chemical soap to the breast. The nipples should be cleaned and kept dry to prevent infection.
High protein diet and juices should be taken to increase milk production. The body of a new mother needs food for the baby to stay healthy and to grow, and she has to recover from delivery issues. Additional requirement of minerals and vitamins can be fulfilled by taking food high in minerals and vitamins.