Constipation is an annoying problem that causes irregular bowel movements. The constipated person suffers from hard stools that are difficult to pass or infrequent stools accompanied by abdominal pain, back pain and abdominal bloating.
The major symptoms of constipation are delay in frequency of the bowls, hard stools, a feeling of incomplete evacuation and pain in passing stools. The person may also feel heaviness in the stomach, increased wind formation, abdominal cramps, headache, lethargy, dizziness, loss of appetite and sometimes bleeding while defecating.
Lack of fiber in the diet and insufficient fluid intake are the major factors responsible for this condition. When people start eating dry foods and drinking less water and fluids, produce constipation and the bowels will not move regularly. Even stress, lack of exercise, sedentary habits, weakness of abdomen and sleeplessness also produce constipation.
Increasing fluid intake and diet modification incorporating foods with high-fiber content are the most recommendable option to cure constipation. Bulk and roughage foods are necessary for easy movement of bowel. Several home remedies for constipation are also helpful in facilitating ease in bowel movement.
1. Isabgol is a husk obtained from Psyllium plant. It is extremely helpful in regulating bowel movement. Add two teaspoonfuls isabgol powder in a glass of water or milk and let it soak for at least 1 to 2 hours. Drink preferably at bedtime.
2. Fry myrobalan chabulic (harad) in clarified butter (ghee) and then powder it. Take this along with warm water once or twice daily for a few days. This is an effective home remedy for constipation.
3. Soak some black raisins in hot water for few hours then crush them and drink the juice, preferably at bedtime.
4. Prepare a powder by crushing the leaves of senna and take half teaspoon with warm water two times a day. This is another useful home remedy for constipation.
5. Take powdered liquorice (mulethi) mixed with jiggery (gur) to relieve constipation.
6. Mix one teaspoon purified castor oil and a quarter teaspoon dried ginger powder in a cup of warm water and take at bedtime. This is an effective home remedy for constipation.
7. Soak few dates (khajoor) in milk for two hours and then mash the pulps. Take this milk twice for a few days.
8. For babies and small children with constipation and abdominal gas, a useful home remedy is to make them lick a pinch of the powder of myrobalan chabulic (harad) along with some honey.
9. Roast fennel (saunf) and then powder it. Take it with warm milk at bedtime. This is very helpful in relieving habitual constipation.
10. Take one teaspoonful honey in lukewarm water on an empty stomach regularly. It is an effective home remedy for habitual constipation.
11. Improper diet and lack of fluids also cause constipation. Include plenty of raw food in your diet. Eat green vegetables, salad, and fresh fruits to relieve this condition.
12. Drink plenty of water and fluids. Keep water in a clay or copper vessel for the whole night and drink this water in the morning. You should drink water at least one hour after meals for proper digestion of food.
13. Avoid foods such as creams, pastries, puddings, cheese, chicken, mutton, bengal gram and kidney bean.
14. Fiber rich foods such as soybean, apple, figs, guava, grapes, lemon, dates, orange, barley, oatmeal, maize, wheat flour, whole wheat, rice flakes, refined wheat flour (without husk) and puffed rice are good to relieve constipation.
15. Restrict your intake of tea and coffee as these may lead to constipation. Bed tea is very harmful for constipated people because at that time the stomach and intestines are empty. Caffeine is a stimulating agent, causing sleeplessness, hence indigestion.
16. Chew the food slowly so that it mixes with the saliva properly. This makes digestion and processing of food easier in the intestine.
17. Half a cup of cabbage juice can help treat constipation. Take cabbage juice two times a day.