A clear, blemish free skin is the ambition of many women - especially teenagers who are the most affected by skin problems like acne, blackhead and the resultant scars which persist even after acne is healed. There are many home remedies for lightening these scars and blemishes and making them less visible.
While heredity, skin color and hormonal imbalance are the causes in part, excess sebum production, building up of bacteria and irritation of hair follicles of the skin cause acne, blackhead, whiteheads; nevi, melasma, pigmentation are other blemishes caused by sun exposure. When acne heals, pigmented cells develop and they cause blemishes like purplish-brown marks, pitting, and indented scars.
Both light and dark-skinned women develop scars and blemishes. Some have dark brown scars, pitting and tiny holes - like craters in the skin, and blackheads, open pores, rough-looking coarse-textured skin. Some have dark patches on forehead, cheeks and temple areas etc.
There are medical and surgical treatments for scar and blemish removal. But there are effective home remedies to lighten the scars and blemishes and reduce the scar or blemish formation along with a healthy diet, healthy active lifestyle, drinking plenty of water, and regular skin care which are the essential ingredients in treating the blemishes and scars.
By treating the acne and preventing it, the scar formation can be reduced. To reduce the pigmentation, blemishes and scars one already has, there are a lot of home remedies found right at home, in the kitchen.
These are a few time-tested home remedies for blemishes and scars reduction.
1. Make a paste of sandalwood powder with gram flour. Apply on face and leave it overnight and wash with cold water in the morning. Done regularly, the skin will become clear and glowing.
2. Rub ice to close big pores. Applying cucumber juice or lemon juice also will treat the enlarged pores. Another remedy for big pore is to apply tomato juice.
3. Lemon peel and orange peel when powdered and added to rose water, milk cream or yogurt lightens the tone of the skin and cleanses it well. This is a good home remedy for blemishes and scars.
4. Soak and grind almonds in milk cream and apply. This will lighten the scars and make the skin smooth and glowing. With honey also, almond paste clears the complexion.
5. Potatoes can bleach very effectively the blemishes or dark scars. Grate potatoes and apply it as a mask and wash after it dries up.
6. Mix equal amounts of honey and rose water and apply and wash after 30 minutes to look at immediate lightening of the skin. This is an effective home remedy for blemishes and scars.
7. Applying fresh mint juice helps fight infected pimples and other skin problems.
8. Turmeric mixed with gram flour in milk cream will cleanse the skin and lighten it.
9. Mix equal part of groundnut oil and fresh lime or lemon juice to stop pimple and blackhead formation. This is another useful home remedy for blemishes and scars.
10. Take the white of an egg, whisk it and spread it thickly on the face. As it draws out the impurities, the pimples dry up and get cleared up.
11. Papaya pulp or banana pulp applied with a little milk cream makes a wonderful toning and whitening face pack. This is also a useful home remedy for blemishes and scars.
12. Honey with milk powder moisturizes and rejuvenates the skin wonderfully.
13. Mix equal parts of tomato juice and lemon juice and apply twice daily to see the skin lighten dramatically.
14. Make a face pack of fresh aloe Vera pulp and apply it on the face. It will lighten the blemishes and scars.
With these home remedies, there will be a gradual improvement in the skin tone and color and reduction of the blemishes and scars and a brighter glowing face with no scars or blemishes is a certainty.