Bedwetting can be embarrassing for the child and parent. Sleep of the child is disturbed due to unintentional urination and some children suffer from lack of confidence after bedwetting. The problem is also called enuresis and it can be hereditary, or it may be found in some of the family members. Sometimes, bed wetting is caused when the child has a small bladder, which cannot store good amount of urine, and sometimes, the cause of bedwetting is the immature nervous system, which couldn't sense the need for urination and the sleep of the child is disturbed after bedwetting. Some hormones are also responsible for causing bedwetting in children and if the child doesn't have good amount of hormone in the body to control urine in the urinary bladder, it may cause bedwetting. Mostly the problem effect boys and at least one in ten children have this problem.
The child bedwetting after the age of six should be given proper counselling and care should be taken to control the habit. Parent should not scold the child for bedwetting, as it may further lower the confidence of the child.
1. Raisins are effective and it can be given with walnuts before going to sleep.
2. High amount of liquids or fluids should not be taken just before going to bed.
3. Taking milk with mustard powder helps in curing bedwetting.
4. Some food types such as chocolates, junk food, soy, tea or coffee should not be given to the children, in the night.
5. Some exercises help the child to strengthen the sphincter muscles and to control urination. The child should be taught to control urination. The capacity of urinary bladder can also be increased by doing exercises.
6. Tea made of herbs such as bear berry, oak bark, wormwood and horsetail can be used as a home remedy for bedwetting.
7. Cinnamon bark, green leafy vegetables and brown rice is good for controlling unintentional urination. Fruits such as banana can be given to the child and cinnamon bark can be given to chew.
8. Counsel the child to avoid stress and to stay happy. Most of the children suffering from bedwetting problem suffer from anxiety on sleeping and the child should be provided the therapy to prevent anxiety.
9. The child should be encouraged to go to urinate just before going to sleep.
10. The bladder should be massaged with herbal oils to increase the urine holding capacity.
11. Neo tablets (Charak) can be taken for two to three months. This is also a common home remedy for bedwetting.
Some types of food items such as eggs, meat, caffeine and dairy products can cause allergic reaction and irritate the bladder to cause unintentional urination. The child should be counselled to eat only healthy food and not take coke or junk food, and if the child stays dry on a night, he/she should be praised by the parents. The problem of bedwetting can be serious, if the child suffers from pain in abdomen while urinating. Magnet therapy is also used to treat bedwetting problems and other common natural herbs used are zea mays (cornsilk), lemon balm, and horsetail.