Ascites is caused by accumulation of pathological fluids in the abdominal cavity and it mainly happens due to abnormal functioning of liver. It is a severe liver disease, which is caused due to increased pressure on the blood vessels of the liver. Excessive accumulation of fluid in body can cause heart failure, kidney failure, cancer and tuberculosis. The patient needs removal of water from the kidney and there are methods called paracentesis, done to remove the fluid from the abdomen. For paracentesis, the patient has to stay in hospital.
Some common symptoms of ascites are
1. Swelling in stomach
2. Fluid in cavities in abdomen
3. Swelling in legs
4. Reduced appetite
6. Irregular weight gain
To take up any remedy for ascites, one should first find the reason for ascites. There are many herbal methods, which can help the patient to remove the excess fluid and potassium from the body.
Some of the common home remedies for ascites are
1. Boiling gram (25gm in one-forth litre water) until the mixture is reduced to half and taking the juice for three weeks, helps in curing ascites.
2. Garlic is famous for its medicinal properties and it can be taken with water every day.
3. Bitter gourd juice is helpful in curing ascites. It can be taken with water three times a day and it should be taken early in the morning in empty stomach.
4. Radish juice and juice of the leaves of radish can be mixed with water and taken.
5. Fenugreek seeds can be soaked in water and the water can be taken early in the morning.
6. Onion helps to get rid of accumulated fluid from the body. Carrot juice and buttermilk is also helpful.
7. Melon can be taken every day as it helps in keeping a balance of fluid in the body.
8. Heeng or asafoetida can be taken in hot water.
9. Punarnava, himsra, kakamachi and kantakari are common herbs used for the treatment of ascites.
10. Mango is helpful for the patients suffering from ascites and mango can be taken thrice a day.
11. Tulsi Ocimum sanctum leaves or Albizia lebbeck tree bark can be powdered and boiled with glass of water to cure ascites.
1. Food items which should not be taken by people suffering from ascites are- wheat and rice. Starch and salt, both can be extremely harmful.
2. People suffering from ascites should reduce intake of excessive water and you can drink water only when you are thirsty. Drinking fruit juice and water can cause swelling in body parts and it also increases weight.
3. Alcohol is very dangerous for people suffering from ascites and more than 81% of the patients suffer from ascites caused by excessive intake of alcohol.
4. Regular physical exercise and leading a stress free life helps in preventing fluid accumulation in the body.
Most of the home remedies can be used in prevention of the disease but the cause of ascites varies for different patients and if the condition is critical, the patient should immediately be taken to a doctor.