Anorexia is a severe emotional eating disorder that arises due to excessive consciousness toward weight loss, counting calories and excessive exercises. It is a loss of appetite due to nervousness. If it is due to psychological causes, women who want to become slim stop taking lunch and dinner in enough quantity, as a result the nervousness will start leading to anorexia.
Anorexics often control body weight by voluntary starvation, excessive exercise, or other weight control measures, such as diet pills or diuretic drugs. This condition is generally seen among women who want to become slim. Such women want to show their body lean and thin. For this, they set up their own standard and start eating less as a result there will be less nutrition and less energy resulting in the use of bodily reserves. At a stage, the condition will be reversible leading to emaciation of body and at a time, paralysis may set in.
Some of the common symptoms of anorexia are loss of interest in food, dramatic weight loss, excessive consciousness about figure and body image, regular skipping of meals, eating selective foods low in fat and calories, strong exercise regimen, decreased libido in men and irregular menstrual periods in women.
The patient must be educated about their misleading notion of becoming slim with inadequate foods. Balanced food must be taken for good health and fitness. The person should try to live with family and friends to make themselves psychologically fit to live happily.
1. Take the juice of fresh pomegranates (anar) with a pinch of black pepper (kali mirch) and black salt twice. This is an effective home remedy for anorexia.
2. Take a glass of buttermilk along with a small quantity of black pepper powder. This will give quick relief from anorexia.
3. Peel two to three grams of ginger (adrak), add a small amount of salt and sprinkle some lemon juice. Chew this half an hour before meals, once a day for eight days. This is an effective home remedy for anorexia.
4. Eat mint leaves either in raw or in chutney form as they are extremely helpful if you are suffering from the loss of appetite.
5. Prune (aloo bokhara) contains vitamin C and is a good appetizer.
6. Take the sweet sour and salty drink jal jeera three to four times. It is a very good natural appetizer.
7. Take tomato soup half an hour before meals. This is very effective in increasing appetite.
8. Boil tamarind (imli) in water with black pepper (kali mirch), lesser cardamom and a clove (laung). Sieve it and allow it to cool and drink this in case of loss of appetite. This is another simple home remedy for anorexia.
9. Make a decoction by boiling holy basil (tulsi) leaves, mint leaves, ginger (adrak), a large cardamom (elaichi), a pinch of asafoetida (hing) and some crushed black pepper (kali mirch). Take 20 to 30 ml of this mixture along with some sugar candy (mishri) or honey 2 or 3 times.
10. Take fruit juice of pineapple, grapes, papaya, apple, pear and orange juice three times a day.
11. Intake of 250 grams of guava with salt and black pepper increases appetite.
12. Food with balanced diet as nuts, grains, seeds, fruits and vegetables is helpful in treating anorexia.
13. Salad containing radish, cucumber, tomato, cabbage, carrot, onion with sprinkling black salt and lemon squeezed on it and taken along with food increases appetite.