A pregnant woman should eat highly nutritious diet to allow appropriate growth of the fetus and to stay healthy. As the various parts of the baby grow inside the womb, the mother needs adequate amount of prenatal minerals and vitamins to allow the baby to have a healthy growth.
A pregnant woman needs balanced amount of folic acid, fiber, calcium and iron. Some of the food products recommended during pregnancy are oranges, whole grain breads, yoghurt, milk, black beans, Brussels sprouts, beet green, mustard green, lima beans, rice, green leafy vegetables, berries, whole grain cereals, sweet potatoes, water squash, nuts, apricots etc. A pregnant woman needs three hundred excess calories per day during pregnancy and she should gain weight to enable the fetus to grow and to prevent health damage.
1. Small meals: A pregnant woman should take small meals six to eleven times in a day. The food should include breads, grains, fruits, vegetables and dairy products. Food products rich in proteins such as meat, fish, and nuts can be taken.
2. Fibers: Food high in fibers such as cereals, rice, vegetables and pastas can be taken.
3. Fluids and Calcium: Take a lot of fluids and juices rich in calcium. A pregnant women needs excess calcium for the growth of the bones of the baby. If a woman does not take supplements of calcium or if her diet cannot provide her adequate amount of calcium, the baby may take the calcium from the bones of the mother and the mother suffers from reduced body mass, which can reduce the bones density of the pregnant woman causing osteoporosis. Calcium is also needed for blood clotting and development of the nervous system of the baby.
4. Iron: Three serving of the food rich in iron should be taken to enable 27 mg of iron.
5. Vitamin C: Vitamin C can be taken through fruits such as grapes, strawberries, tomatoes, sprouted Brussels, green peppers etc. Pregnant woman need seventy milligrams of vitamin C every day.
6. Folic Acid: Pregnant woman needs folic acid to prevent defects related to nervous system and she can take green leafy vegetables and peas to get folic acid.
7. Vitamin A: Vitamin A can be taken in the form of carrots, sweet potatoes, turnip, cantaloupe etc., but an excess amount of vitamin A should not be taken.
1. Vomiting: If you are suffering from morning sickness or vomiting, you should avoid taking fried food products, and take cereals and food in small quantities many times in a day.
2. Constipation: If you are suffering from constipation, eat fibrous fruits and drink a lot of water. One can also take fruit juices to prevent constipation.
3. Diarrhea: To prevent diarrhea, one can take rice and refined food items. The food that absorbs a lot of water should be taken to prevent diarrhea.
4. Indigestion: One can take coconut milk or coconut water to prevent burning sensation in stomach. Milk can be taken before taking a meal to prevent heartburn. Reduce the intake of caffeine.