Diarrhea is a disorder of the digestive tract, which can result in loss of fluids from the body through frequent bowel movement. Pregnant woman may suffer from constipation and diarrhea, but it is found that constipation is more common than diarrhea. In the last trimester, excess bowel movements can cause dehydration, which can lead to preterm labour and certain severe medical conditions. Symptoms of diarrhea are frequent bowel movement, loose stool, fatigue and pain in the back. There are many different causes for diarrhea in various stages of pregnancy.
1. Women may suffer from changes in hormone levels during pregnancy and it can increase the urge to go for frequent bowel.
2. Sometimes, certain medicines or mineral supplements can cause loose stool, which can be prevented by replacing the medicine.
3. It can be caused by infections of food poisoning.
4. Artificial sweeteners or candies can cause bowel problem.
5. It can be caused by changes in diet as the women crave for eating excessive sour, salty or sweet food items.
6. Some women couldn't digest milk properly during the first trimester and stomach disorders can be caused by lactose intolerance. You may take calcium supplements to fulfil the requirement of calcium instead of milk.
1. Infection of virus or parasite can cause upset stomach. Consult your physician if the symptoms are visible after you take certain food.
2. Fast food, uncooked, overcooked, food stored improperly or prepared by many people, raw meat and impure drinking water, can cause stomach disorders.
3. It can be caused by constipation. Mother may suffer from faecal impaction which is caused due to constipation to promote bowel movement through the intestine.
4. Iron supplements can cause excessive bowel movements.
5. During late pregnancy it helps a woman to prepare for labor.
1. You can consult a medical practitioner if you are losing weight or excessive fluid or if you see blood or mucus in stool, during pregnancy as it may have serious complication.
2. Take rest and avoid stress.
3. Drink a lot of fluid to stay hydrated.
4. Eat food that is easy to digest such as steamed rice, banana and toast.
5. Take small meals many times in a day.
6. Reduce intake of tea or coffee as it can cause stomach disorders.
7. Yoghurt is very effective in fighting the harmful bacteria.
8. Take soups of rice and vegetables.
9. Eat starchy food such as potatoes and cereals.
10. Avoid apple juice or grape juice.
11. Avoid oily greasy, excessively hot and spicy food.
1. Eat only homemade clean food.
2. Do not drink impure water or fluids containing toxic chemicals.
3. Eat fresh fruits and take a lot of fibre in food to prevent stomach disorders caused by constipation.
4. Drink a lot of water to keep yourself hydrated.
5. You can take drinks such as electrolyte or Gatorade to prevent dehydration.
6. If it is caused by infection of yeast or bacteria, take garlic extract to prevent infection.