Vertigo is caused due to abnormalities in the inner canal of the ear and the symptoms are abnormal sensation of spinning and moving. The person suffering from vertigo may lose balance and have a sensation of nausea.
The main causes for vertigo are: Formation of free floating calcium carbonate crystals in the inner ear which can be caused due to infections of inner ear, vision problem, head injury, brain tumor, thyroid problem, anemia, diabetes, cholesterol, high blood pressure and other medical conditions.
The most commonly found vertigo is called benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, which can cause sudden head movement and the head moves in one direction. The patient may suffer from other medical problems such as ringing of ear or multiple sclerosis. Other signs of vertigo are abnormal eye movement, fatigue, visual problems, vomiting, nausea and difficulty in speaking or walking.
1. The patient should practice eye focusing exercises such as looking at an object for some time.
2. Muscular disorder can be cured by massaging the body part with oil that enhances blood circulation to the brain. Vertigo can be caused if the diagonal muscle of the neck suffers pressure caused by anxiety or work. In this case, you can use massage oil and apply it on the sternocleidomastoid muscle to reduce pain and dizziness.
3. One should reduce the intake of sugar, caffeine and oil in food. Reduce the intake of fried and ice cold food items.
4. It can be caused by imbalance of salt in food and one should take chips or sandwiches immediately to get the needed salt.
5. To reduce dizziness one can drink two to three glasses of fresh water.
6. It is caused due to sudden head movement and it can be cured by preventing jerks to the head.
7. Take food products rich in vitamin C such as strawberries and lemon juice. Take yoghurt or you can even take milk with almonds, as a remedy.
8. Take lemon juice with black pepper and salt, to reduce nausea and dizziness.
9. Take wheat grain, poppy seeds, almonds and watermelon seeds and make a paste of it. Take the paste everyday with milk for at least a week to reduce the symptoms.
10. Indian gooseberry can be taken with coriander seeds and left in water to soak. One should drink it with sugar. This is an effective home remedy for vertigo.
11. Eat a diet rich in protein and have green leafy vegetables in the diet.
12. Stress management and vestibular rehabilitation exercises are useful in reducing dizziness. One can also do breathing exercises to reduce stress.
13. Ginger is effective home remedy in treating vertigo and it can be taken either in powdered form or raw.
Dizziness can also be caused as a side-effect of taking some medicines or it can be caused by taking certain diets such as food made from aspartame, which inhibits the functioning of the central nervous system. The inner ear composition can also be disturbed on taking high or low, salt or sugar; therefore, one should take balanced meals.