Vaginal dryness is mostly found in women after menopause but it can be seen in women of all age groups. It is caused due to the lack of hormone estrogen and it can cause reduction in the mucus found in the vaginal wall that causes irritation and reduces libido. There are many causes for dryness such as high stress level, depression, strained relationship with partner, hormonal imbalance infection in the reproductive organs, natural aging, taking birth control pill and other medical reasons. This problem sometimes causes itching and painful feeling, and one should immediately get it examined, if there are some serious symptoms.
To reduce vaginal dryness one can use following home remedies.
1. To have a balanced production of estrogen hormone, women should take a diet rich in fat because cholesterol causes the production of estrogen and reducing fat in diet can reduce the hormone estrogen. Women who take a low fat meal have reduced estrogen level in their body.
2. Soy and flax are rich source of phytoestrogen and it can be included in diet to get estrogen from plant products.
3. Use HerSolution Gel or Aloe Vera gel to increase mucus level and drink a lot of water every day to keep the body hydrated.
4. Reduce stress and keep a check on the blood sugar level. Fenugreek seeds can be soaked in water or boiled and taken every day to control blood sugar.
5. Oat straw helps in keeping female reproductive organ healthy.
6. Yoghurt should be taken every day in diet.
7. Water soluble lubricants like Vigorelle can also be used to lubricate the intimate areas.
8. Increase food rich in fatty acids such as fish (salmon, tuna), pumpkin, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds.
9. Taking herb black cohosh and vitamin E oil, reduces dryness.
10. There are many yoga positions and exercises, which can help you to strengthen the muscles of the pelvic region such as taking deep breath (to reduce anxiety) and raising the leg above (to tone the vaginal wall).
1. Do not douche: Douching can cause dryness and it is harmful for the friendly bacteria that live in the reproductive organs and prevent the reproductive organs from getting infected.
2. Quit smoking: Smoking destroys estrogen level in the body of a woman and it can cause dryness. Women should quit smoking to prevent dryness.
3. Drugs: If you are taking certain medication that is causing dryness, ask your doctor to replace it. There are many types of drugs and medications such as antihistamines, which can cause the problem.
4. Avoid alcohol: Avoid alcohol as it disturbs the fluid balance of the body.
5. Do not apply lotions or creams, which can cause infection: Do not apply perfumes, scented soaps and perfumed creams or lotions to the reproductive organs as it may further deteriorate the condition and wear only cotton inner-wears. Reduce chemicals in the environment by eliminating products, which can irritate the mucus line.
6. Avoid stress: To reduce stress one can take ginkgo biloba.