Sweaty palms are a rare condition but it is found in one to two percent of the global population. It is also called palmer hyperhidrosis, and it is mostly found in families. It can be genetic and sometimes, it is caused due to other reasons such as electrocution or injury to the chest. Its symptoms can be seen at an early age and the main reason for sweating is overactive nervous system that signals the sweat glands to produce sweat.
The nervous system contains voluntary and involuntary systems. In involuntary nervous system, sympathetic nervous controls the secretions of the sweat glands. Overactive sympathetic nervous can cause the production of excess sweat. Sweating can either be continuous or episodic.
Palmer hyperhidrosis can cause problems such as difficulty in using computers, playing a musical instrument or in driving. It can be embarrassing for the person who has sweating hands to hold others hands. Many patients go for a surgical treatment for hyperhidrosis.
There are some other easy treatments, which have been found effective in treating sweaty palms such as shock treatment. In shock treatment, a 9 V battery is used to give a shock and the electric current blocks the functioning of the overactive ducts that cause excessive sweating. The patient has to keep the hands on the electronic device to take the treatment and one should take the shock treatment from an expert.
There are also some home remedies, which are effective in treating sweaty hands or excessive hand sweating.
1. Apply baby powder on hands to prevent sweating. It is a cheap solution and it is effective home remedy for mild hand sweating.
2. Antiperspirants can be used on palms to prevent perspiration. It is also effective in case of mild sweating. Antiperspirants made from aluminum chlorohydrate are effective in drying sweat.
3. One should manage the stress level and anxiety to reduce sweating.
4. Tea bags solution can be applied on palm or hold tea bags in the palm to reduce hand sweating. Five tea bags can be boiled and hands can be soaked in the solution. The solution works as an antiperspirant.
5. Avoid food high in iodine. One should avoid vegetables such as asparagus, broccoli and onion, and meat products such as liver, beef and turkey that are high in iodine.
6. Drinking sage tea and taking food high in zinc is helpful.
7. Taking a lot of fluids in the form of fruits juice keeps you hydrated as you lose a lot of fluid through sweat. You can take tomato juice to keep the body cool.
8. Do not eat food containing a high amount of onion, garlic and spices that can cause sweating.
9. One should not take excess alcohol or smoke, to reduce sweating.
10. Herb called schisandra can be used as a natural remedy to treat sweaty palms. It is a Chinese herb and it is also used to treat diarrhea. One should also be aware of the side-effects of using the herb that has many tastes such as salty, spicy, sweet and sour.