There are three categories of sleeplessness: In the first category, the person takes more than half an hour to sleep and in the second category, the person may have a disturbed sleep whereas, in the third category, the patient is awakened early in the morning before taking the needed six hour of sleep.
Routine sleep schedule: First, you should have a routine and fixed timing to go to bed every night. Changing the time of sleeping may cause insomnia.
Environment: The room where you sleep should have relaxing environment. You should not have exaggerating colours painted on the wall of the bedroom and should not use electronic equipments that produces noise in the room as you prepare to sleep.
Relax your mind: Relive your mind of all the anxieties before going to bed. Breathing exercise can help you to reduce anxiety. Calm your mood and prepare the body to relax. You can take aromatherapy or listen to music to reduce anxiety. You can take a walk before going to sleep or take a bath to relax yourself.
Taking herbal tea: Taking herbal tea and appropriate meal before going to bed helps you to relieve anxiety and take a good sleep. You can take honey with lukewarm milk before going to bed. To soothe the nervous system you can take chamomile tea, which can be mixed with some drops of milky oat seed tincture, passionflower tincture and skullcap tincture, to boost the effect.
Meal and drinks: Take a balanced diet an hour before going to bed. Do not overeat or eat heavy food that is difficult to digest. Do not drink tea, coffee or carbonated drinks, which can cause bloating or discomfort. Do not eat extremely spicy and oily food just before going to bed, and avoid beverages, chocolates and smoking.
Take help from herbs: Herb such as valerian root, kava, California poppy, hops, lemon balm and Passion flower are effective in treating insomnia.
1. The tincture of valerian root has an annoying smell and you should take the herb from an expert as it may have side effects especially, if you are taking other treatments or medicines.
2. Kava also known as Piper methysticum is a shrub and it can be bought from herb stores. You can even get it in spray form to get a fast relief. It is used as an anti-anxiety medicine.
3. Lemon Balm can be boiled with water and taken as tea before going to bed. It is a useful home remedy for insomnia.
4. Passion flower is effective in relaxing the nervous of the central nervous system and it also soothes the muscles. It eases digestions and it can be boiled with water and taken as an herbal tea. It has no side effects.
5. California poppy belongs to the opium poppy class and it is not an addictive. You should contact an expert before taking it.
6. Hops are basically fruits, which can be taken in the form of tincture or tablets. It can be mixed with lavender to get aromatherapy and applied to the pillow.