Do you love showing your beautiful skin? But embarrassed due to those occasional thick red patches spoiling your beauty? Have a double check. You could be a victim of Psoriasis.
Psoriasis is a chronic disease of the skin which in acute condition becomes extremely unsightly, painful and annoying. It is almost like an uninvited guest at your house who is eccentric enough to make your life uncomfortable but you don’t really know how to say him goodbye.
Why Psoriasis occurs: A very tricky question even for the modern age doctors. The symptoms are thick red silvery patches on some part of the skin which, sometimes, are itchy. Our skin cells go through a cycle in every month. The cells in the lower layer of the skin come up to the upper layer and the dead cells in the upper layer are wiped off while washing and rinsing the skin. If and when in some parts of the skin, this cycle is fast forwarded, the dead cells, before they could get wiped off, are accumulated on the skin in the form of thick patches which turn red in course of time. This disease is known as Psoriasis. Though the actual reason of psoriasis is not known to the doctors, their observations have detected some probable factors which trigger psoriasis.
1. Genetic Factor: It has been observed that psoriasis is hereditary and carried through genes.
2. Physical and emotional stress can increase its risk.
3. Drinking alcohol and being overweight are friendly with disease.
4. A strep throat, sunburn and allergy to certain medicines trigger psoriasis.
5. Abnormality in mechanism of amino acid is a major reason too.
Whatever might be the reasons, a handful of simple home remedies can keep psoriasis within control significantly. So instead of worrying, simply follow them:
1. Take shower regularly and cleanse your body with a mild soap. As the dead skin layers don't allow any medicine or moisture to enter inside, it's better if the cells get removed even slightly during shower. But make it a point not to rub harshly. Use lukewarm water rather than hot.
2. Moisturize your skin deeply. Dry skin is more vulnerable towards getting cracked and infected. It will simply worsen the psoriasis. So use oils, creams and other stuffs with heavy moisturizes within them. Simple homely things like coconut oil, white petroleum jelly are effective moisturizers too.
3. Cut down weight. Being overweight makes psoriasis out of control.
4. Small skin injuries like scratch, sunburn, allergy due to medicine makes psoriasis worse. So avoid not getting hurt.
5. Try to cut down intake of coffee, tea, processed food and animal fat.
6. Drink plenty of water and eat fruits to hydrate your body
7. If you have scalp psoriasis, massage your scalp with warm olive oil to remove the scales. Also mix olive oil with milk and put it in your bathwater. It works on psoriasis of the skin of any body part.
8. Make a mixture of linseed oil, cod liver oil, lecithin, zinc and vitamin E and put the medicine on the affected part. Then cover it with a plastic wrap so that it gets absorbed easily. Open it after some hours.
9. Putting some Epsom salt in your bathwater will help you soften the psoriasis.
10. Clean some cabbage leaves and remove the thick veins. Warm them slightly and cover the psoriasis by those leaves. They make wonder.