Sudden changes in mood can be caused by bipolar disorder found in the central nervous system. Some of the symptoms of mood swings are irritation, poor memory, abrupt behaviour, changing thoughts, poor judgement, taking risks and increase in erratic physical activities. It can be caused by some life events or by hormonal changes (in women).
Women may suffer from premenstrual mood swings and it can be prevented by taking a high fat diet. Take rice, pasta, cereals and whole grains in meals. Fat help in production of estrogens hormone and women should eat five to six meals in a day to prevent nutritional deficiency. Replace butter with food items such as safflower, flaxseeds and corn, and do not take processed food or fast food having a high amount of salt as it can augment mood disorder.
1. One can take a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acid and vitamin E to prevent mood swings. Fruits such as blue berries, strawberries, papaya and kiwi are rich in vitamin E. Omega 3 fatty acid is found in food such as fish, rice barn and wheat barn.
2. Folate is important to control the mood and you should take a diet rich in peas and spinach to get adequate amount of folate. Do not take canned food and you can take supplement of folic acid.
3. Diet rich in vitamin A prevent mood swings. You can take carrot, corn and green vegetables to get a diet rich in vitamin A.
4. Take a food rich in vitamin B to reduce depression. Cashew nut is effective in mood disorders and it increases the energy level of the body.
5. Make an extract of rosemary leaves by boiling it in water and add honey to the solution. Take the drink one or two times in a day. It is another good home remedy for mood swings.
6. Mood fluctuation can be prevented by taking vitamin C. Take tomato, orange or lemon juice to get immediate relief.
7. Take appropriate amount of sugar to prevent reduction of blood sugar level, which can cause depression and fatigue.
8. Mix cardamom powder to water and boil the solution. Drink the solution two times daily. It is an effective home remedy for mood swings.
9. Tea made from herbs such as passion flower, hops, and chamomile is effective in soothing the nerves. You can use this tea as a home remedy for mood swings.
10. Gingko leaf extract can be taken daily to improve memory and to reduce mood swings.
11. Balm is effect against tension and depression and you can take it as tincture three times in a day. Boil two to three teaspoons of the herb in one cup of water to make its extract.
12. One of the natural remedies for treating mood swings is aromatherapy. Massage and aromatherapy can help in increasing blood circulation and soothing nerves.
13. You can do breathing exercises to get adequate amount of oxygen.
14. Take complete rest and avoid stress. Relax the nervous system by inhaling herbal oils such as oils of jasmine, lime, rose or grapefruit.
15. Limit intake of coffee, chocolate, tea and carbonated drink.
16. Menopause can cause mood swings and herbal extract of sage leaves can be taken to prevent it. Phytoestrogen can be used to balance the hormone production during menopause and it is found in plant products such as Dong Quai and Black Cohosh.