The knee is one of the most largest and complex joint which is of maximum use to a human being on a day to day basis. It is supported by four ligaments along with the muscles. Daily, the knee is required for various activities such as sitting, dancing, standing, running etc. along with supporting the whole weight of the body.
Due to all above mentioned reasons, the knee is more exposed to wear and tear and as a result of its constant use and is prone to many problems. The problem of knee pain is most commonly found in people above 40 years of age, but now days it's been observed among all age groups. It can have a contrary impact on any part of the body, thus one should visit the specialist before the condition worsens.
One of the symptoms of knee pain includes inflammation and sensation of pain while touching the knee. Incapability to walk properly, injury that results in disfigurement around the knee joint, recurrence of pain that continues beyond few days, occurrence of knee pain during the night, unable to bend the knee, infection in the joint, redness on the joint are some of the signs after seeing of which should be consulted with the doctor as soon as possible in order to make proper diagnosis. In many cases, rigidness in knee joint hinders the normal movements of the body.
The condition of knee pain is caused due to common and traditional reasons like old age injuries and illnesses like Arthritis.
Some of the home remedies for knee pain are as follows
1. The first and the foremost treatment are to give ample amount of rest to the knee and avoiding the movements especially weight carrying activities that worsens the pain. This is the most common step to provide relief from ache.
2. Paste of mustard and onion helps in curing knee pain.
3. Oil massage (coconut or olive oil) can reduce knee pain. Take half cup of oil, warm it and apply on the affected knee in circular motion. It reduces swelling and increases blood circulation in the body, thus relieving you from the pain.
4. Sometimes excess weight is the reason for knee pain. If this is the case, then it is suggested to lose excess weight.
5. Therapies like yoga, massages and acupuncture can be of great help.
6. Increase intake of water, green vegetables and fruits; reduce the consumption of sodium, fat, processed sugars and alcohol.
7. Apply ice on the affected area for 10-15 minutes and rest for some time to ease the burden. Also apply it at least 3-4 times a day.
8. Do exercise on daily basis such as stretching the muscles around the knee joint. Some kind of exercises should be done as directed by your doctor and not on your own.
9. A pillow should be kept between the knees while sleeping in the night.
These are the few methods or tactics for the effective treatment of knee pain. Thus in order to have a proper management plan you should consult appropriate health professionals.