Jaw ache may be demoralizing. Due to jaw ache, one cannot smile, cannot eat, and cannot speak properly. This makes the situation awful. The pain makes the muscles of the jaw tight and seizes the jaw at one place to look after it. The jaw muscles then go into spasm, become sore and result in more pain. Jaw muscle exercises particularly can help, as they bring blood to the tight jaw muscles.
Many people suffering from jaw ache do not intend to eat much because it pains while chewing. This tendency reduces strength and results in increased jaw ache. It occurs due to nutritional deficiency such as vitamin C or vitamin E. It can even be caused by a mineral deficiency in magnesium, calcium, or any of the other minerals required by the body. Most of the victims of jaw pain do not take interest to actually fix the problem but opt for taking prescription drugs to lessen the jaw pain.
The shock absorbing disc present in the jaw joint comes out of its place and flops around. This dislocation of disc increases the chance of jaw ache. In severe situations, it is mandatory to visit a health care professional or the dentist to diagnose the disorder and get an appropriate treatment.
There are certain home remedies that help in curing the jaw pain. Following points describes the remedies that are most effective in treating jaw ache.
1. Putting wet hot hand towels on both the sides of the jaws can help in curing the jaw pain.
2. A soft massage can help treating jaw ache.
3. You can also fill your bath tub and absorb yourself completely in the warm water, make sure that your face is also covered in warm water. This may help the person to get relief and sleep better.
4. Hot and cold treatment can be used as a home remedy to reduce jaw pain. Applying cold ice packs to the affected area helps to give instant relief from jaw aches. This ice pack may be used for at least 10 to 15 minutes. Use this treatment in frequent intervals to make your jaws relax and improve the flow of blood in the jaws. Remember, do not apply hot compress for more than ten to fifteen minutes or it may burn the skin.
5. Massage gently the jaws using the kneading technique. This must be repeated twice a day. This process helps in relaxing the tensed muscles of the jaw.
6. Increase the consumption of foods that are rich in calcium, it helps to provide additional strength to the jaws.
7. One of the simple home remedies for jaw pain is gargling. Prepare a hot water and add a pinch of salt in it. This mixture must be used for gargling purpose. This is a natural mouthwash that helps in relaxing the tensed nerves and the muscles present in the jaws. To achieve best results gargle using this solution for at least five to six times a day.