Fungal infection of the toes is one of the major reasons to cause nail discoloration. Sometimes the nails turn yellow brown or at times the nails also appear brittle. Once the nail looks bad the skin around the nails also starts looking flaky.
Dermatophytes are very common types of fungus. If the fungal infections are left untreated they are likely to cause permanent damage to your toe nails. Thus it becomes very important to pay attention once the fungal infection is detected.
The treatment that will suit best for the infection depends from person to person according to the kind of infection. It is not necessary that nail discoloration is always the result of fungal infection there might be many other reasons for nail discoloration.
Most of the diseases are treated with the help of antibiotics that are injected through blood but we must take some precautions before hand in order to ensure safety. We must wash our feet regularly once we enter our home.
Fungus generally grows in warm and moist finger nails. As and when the fungus grows it makes our nails hard and slowly resulting into nail discoloration. Certain other reasons for nail discoloration are like break in nails, cuts on skin, tight fitting shoes, damp socks etc. Once the micro organisms or fungus enters our nails it causes bad smell. Home remedies for nail discoloration are given below.
1. Nail fungus can be treated using tea tree oil. With the help of cotton rub the oil over the nails once in the morning after bath and secondly at night when you go to bed.
2. Tea tree oil can also be used by mixing it with equivalent amount of lavender oil. The solution is very effective in treating the nail discoloration.
3. Soak your feet in a tub filled with water. Don't forget to put equal proportion of hydrogen peroxide. Dip the feet for around fifteen minutes in the solution and then soak the feet completely.
4. If you visit the public places such as swimming pools, showers and locker rooms then it is always recommended to take bath once you are back home.
5. Make a paste with turmeric powder and water. Apply the paste using cotton over the nail discoloration.
6. Another remedy for nail discoloration is to soak the feet in rubbing alcohol, for about twenty minutes.
7. One of the effective ways to treat fungal infection is onion peel. Cut the onion into pieces and separate the peels. Now rub the peels over the nail discoloration.
8. A teaspoon of olive oil with some amount of oregano oil can also be used for the fungal treatment. Generally this provides a relief from the fungus infection. This method does not help to cure the infection completely.
Avoid using towels of the family members. It is advisable that all the family members must use a separate towel, because skin infections get transferred very easily.