A virus, varicella - zoster is the root cause of the chickenpox. In chicken pox there are red spots and an itchy rashes which looks like blisters spread all over the body. Generally children are affected by this problematic disease. It is a very infectious and contagious disease so a child or a person suffering from it should restrict himself or herself in mixing with other children even few days after the symptoms are gone. Children can be protected from this contagious disease by getting the vaccine of chickenpox between the ages of 12-15 months. For further protection one more booster shot of chicken pox vaccine is given at the age of 6-8 years.
Generally a person suffers from chicken pox, ones or twice in his lifetime. It is not a very serious problem in healthy person but in pregnant lady, new born, or the person whose immune system is weak it can cause some problem of serious nature.
Initially red, itchy rashes or blisters on the skin due to chicken pox appears on the back, face and abdomen, afterwards it spreads to the whole body including genitals, scalp, mouth, nose and ears. It just looks like a big pimple filled with fluid. Person suffering from chickenpox has flu like symptoms. Problem like fever, headache etc. starts two days before the rashes appear and it remain 5-7 approximately.
* Single herbs or combination of herbs are useful for treating chickenpox. Such as babool, vata, turmeric, neem etc. These Ayurvedic herbs are one of the popular home remedies for chickenpox.
* Lesions are healed up and irritation is reduced if any one bath with warm water mixed with half cup of brown vinegar in it.
* Apply vitamin E oil throughout the body. It will help in healing and reduce the itching also.
* To control the itching due to chicken pox, sponging with baking soda is very popular. It will heal the lesion and avoid the scratching of eruptions.
* Soup made with 100 gms of carrot and 60 gms of coriander if taken once a day is a valuable home remedy for the treatment of chickenpox.
* To heal the disease within a couple of days, the external application of honey throughout the body is very helpful.
* An herbal tea made up of basil, lemon balm, marigold and chamomile is beneficial in the treatment of chickenpox if taken several times a day. To enhance the healing properties a pinch of honey, cinnamon and lemon can be added to this herbal tea.
* Fresh neem leaves or powder of neem leaves, bathing with neem leaves, sleeping on neem leaves etc. are very helpful in its treatment. Neem in any form is beneficial for the treatment of chickenpox.