Calorie is a unit used for measuring the energy value of food. For example an ounce of sugar contains about 100 calories. These calories have a major role in weight gain. What ever we eat, it gives energy to our body as well as put on a little weight on us.
In a simple language, when the food requires more energy than it requires to be digested, it is called negative calorie food. The food uses energy from the body for digestion, so the extra calories get burned, hence resulting in weight loss. The concept is getting very popular these days in spite of the fact that it does not completely mean what it says.
Every food which we eat contains a mixture of calories, nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Although they are not in the same quantity in our every food item, yet they do present to some extent. This means there is no food which could provide zero or negative calories.
So, if there is no such thing as negative calorie food, then why everybody is going for it to reduce their weight. The answer lies in its theory. Actually our body is the main player. Every other food which requires more energy for digestion gets it from our digestive system. For example celery which is considered the most common negative calorie food item consumes only 10% of the total energy it contains. The remaining 90% is utilized by the body for digestion because low energy food is very difficult to digest. This results in weight loss.
The idea was first practically tested in early 90s in US and other developed countries. The people in these countries were not very fond of eating vegetable and fruits. And because several researches had shown that many vegetables and fruits are very helpful in weight loss. The three major characteristics of this concept are as follows.
The list contains variety of fruits and vegetables only which are full of nutrients.
All Negative Calorie Foods contain high level of fiber which means our digestive system can easily digest it.
Almost all these food items contain water in them and as a matter of fact water is the one that contains zero calories in it.
Although the concept was not that what it has become today, yet it is very helpful in losing weight. The only thing you need to do is to combine both positive and negative calorie food in your diet. This is the answer of how it works.
Negative Calorie food contains enough quantity of vitamins and proteins. These nutrition's provide help to enzymes (a chemical substance that occurs naturally in human body to assist in performing chemical changes without being changed itself) to easily break down its own calories as well as of the body.
Vegetables - Cabbage, Celery, Cucumber, Garlic, Spinach
Fruits - Apple, Strawberry, Tomato, Lemon, Orange