The patient suffering from diarrhea have loose stool and the frequency of bowel movement increases in a day. Overeating and eating unhealthy food are some of the common causes of diarrhea, but it can also be caused by unfinished digestion, use of drugs or intake of laxatives.
1. Secretary diarrhea is a condition, in which, the patient suffers from active secretion of anions caused by cholera toxins, and the patient may eliminate sodium and water from the body.
2. Osmotic diarrhea is a condition, in which, the intestine draws in excess water to alleviate the condition of constipation. It is caused when the person takes excess amount of lactose, fructose, sugar, vitamin C or magnesium.
3. Exudative diarrhea is caused by ulcers in intestinal tract and the patient may have pus in stool.
4. In inflammatory diarrhea, the mucosal lining of intestine is damaged and it is mostly caused by infections of antibodies.
5. Motility related diarrhea is caused by anxiety or diabetes or other medical causes.
Diarrhea causes mal-absorption and the patient may lack nutrition to carry out day to day activities. Diarrhea caused by eating unhealthy and unhygienic food can be treated by simple home remedies.
1. Charcoal tablets can be taken to reduce to toxin infection. Charcoal helps in absorbing toxins but it should not be taken in large quantities.
2. Blackberry tea, chamomile tea, ginger tea and orange peel tea, is effective in treating upset stomach.
3. Carrots juice can be taken to get back the lost nutrition and banana can be taken with curd to reduce pain in stomach.
4. Take boiled rice and yoghurt with a pinch of salt. It is extremely effective in soothing stomach ache.
5. Butter milk is also effective in restoring damages caused to the intestinal tract. A glass of buttermilk can be taken with a pinch of salt.
6. Ginger is effective against toxins and it can be taken with a pinch of salt.
7. Coconut water soothes the stomach and it can be taken to restore water content and nutrition.
8. Asafoetida is effective against bacterial infection and it can also be taken to prevent flatulence. Other herbs which are effective against toxins are turmeric and ginger.
9. Amaranth seeds can be boiled with water and taken to get rid of the heat produced in the body.
10. Mango juice can be taken with curd.
11. Do not take alcohol or smoke, and one should not eat half-cooked food or meat.
12. Fenugreek seed can be soaked in water and it can be taken early in the morning in empty stomach.
13. Do not eat spicy food and vegetables.
If an infant is suffering from diarrhea
She should be given water with a pinch of salt and sugar to prevent dehydration.
Infants should be given oral rehydration treatment and fruit juices.
Infants should not be given milk and oily products.
If the condition does not improve, rush to the medical practitioner. Sometimes, acute diarrhea may cause dehydration and in infants, it can even cause death.