Periodontitis and gingivitis are common dental problems. Periodontitis is caused by excessive smoking and gingivitis is caused by bacterial infection. The bacterial infection can clot the arteries and cause cardiovascular problems. Mothers suffering from unhealthy gums can deliver underweight babies and the infection of bacteria can reach the lungs to cause pneumonia. Severe gums can even cause tooth loss.
Some of the common dental problems are gum disease, tooth decay and bad breadth. If these dental problems are neglected, it can become major ailments, which can infect other parts of the body.
1. Oral care prevents oral cancer. If the patient takes regular dental care, the dentist can diagnose the problem early and prevent growth of tumor to other parts of the body. White soft deposits on teeth can host bacteria, which can be removed by regular brushing. There are certain calcified substances on teeth, which can be removed by a dentist.
2. Tooth decay causes damage to interior tissues and it may increase cavities leading to tooth's death. The bacteria found in the mouth eat the sugar of the food taken and release lactic acid, which can dissolve the tissues and harm the gums.
3. People suffering from asthma or blockage in nose, breathe from their mouth, when they are sleeping and this may cause dry mouth, which increases plaque on the teeth causing gingivitis. Special daily care of teeth should be taken by pregnant women, diabetic patients and people who take medicines, who have dry mouth. The plaque should be removed from the teeth to prevent damage.
4. Fluoride is helpful in growth of teeth in children and it is found in toothpastes and mouthwash.
5. Good physical health is linked to tooth's health and people having good teeth have a good smile.
1. Pay visits to the dentist for cleaning and check up.
2. Eat nutritious food and reduce intake of sugary food, which can erode the teeth. Fruit juice rich in vitamin C should not be taken on teeth, as it may harm the tooth enamel.
3. Soft drinks and carbonated drinks should not be taken.
4. Anti microbial rinse prevents tooth infection.
5. Smoking and tobacco may harm your tooth.
6. Don't take hot drinks and ice creams (hot and cold) together.
7. Fruit such as strawberry is good for tooth.
8. Do not chew hard substance such has pencil or pens, which can damage the tooth.
9. Brush the teeth properly everyday at least two times and the brush used should not be very hard on tooth enamel. Brushing should take at least two to three minutes and all areas of the tooth should be brushed. The brush should be replaced after every three to four months.
10. Flossing helps to clean the areas, which cannot be cleaned with the help of a toothbrush. For flossing, you can use the middle finger of the hand and cotton to clean the floss from each side of the tooth. Some patients suffer from bleeding while flossing, but later it may settle down.