Dandruff can be prevented by taking a few precautions, taking a diet rich in nutrients and bringing up a few changes in lifestyle.
Dietary Changes -
1. Eat healthy food, which contains a balanced amount of minerals and vitamins such as vitamin A, B (B2, B3), C, iodine, zinc, selenium, magnesium and iodine.
2. One can take fruits and vegetables high in biotin such as whole grains, egg yolk, cauliflower, and bananas and mushroom.
3. Reduce intake of dairy products high in fat and reduce the intake of sugar, peanuts, chocolate and seafood.
4. Do not skip meals and take a lot of fibrous fruits in the diet.
Body Cleansing -
1. Clean and brush the hair often and use soft brush to comb the hair. Shampooing reduces dandruff, if you have oily skin. The scalp can be massaged to improve blood circulation and exposing the head to sun is also important for proper hair growth and blood circulation, but scalp should not be exposed to sun's strong heat for long.
2. Body should be cleaned from inside and outside. Parasite inside the body can cause infections in the intestinal tract and it increases the toxins in the body to cause skin flakes. Toxins should be eliminated from body by taking nutritious diet.
Changing Lifestyle and Personal Habits -
1. Reduce the usage of styling products and harsh chemicals on hair, such as gels and perms. Use only natural products on hair.
2. Stress management is important to reduce dandruff and hair fall.
3. Reduce intake of tinned, dried and strewed fruits.
4. Tea, coffee and carbonated drinks should be reduced.
5. Pickles and sugar intake should be reduced. Condiments and processed food should not be taken. Food which can cause constipation, such as refined grains should be avoided.
1. Apply mustard oil and glycerin on scalp for 30 minutes and then wash the scalp with herbal shampoo.
2. Fenugreek seeds can be soaked in water and a paste of fenugreek seeds can be applied on the scalp for 20 to 30 minutes, before washing it with an herbal shampoo (that contains shikakai or ritha).
3. Gram powder (you can take green gram powder) can be mixed with curd and applied on the scalp. It is effective in cleaning skin and hair.
4. Lime juice or snake guard juice can be applied on the hair before washing.
5. Tea tree oil is very effective in treating dandruff.
6. Boiled beet can be massaged on the scalp to reduce dandruff.
7. Oil massage of the scalp before going to bed and applying diluted cider vinegar to the hair before washing with shampoo, helps in natural treatment of dandruff.
8. A juice made by mixing few drops of lemon and vinegar are also effective. It can be rubbed on the scalp.
9. To use a homemade conditioner, you can use eggs or henna powder (henna powder can color your hair brown).
10. Mix olive oil and almond oil together, and rub it on the scalp, half an hour before applying herbal shampoo.
11. A mixture of honey, lemon and curd is also effective in natural treatment of dandruff.