Constipation is caused when the colon absorbs water from the intestinal food and it slows the movement of the food through intestinal tract. Constipation can block the passage of both gas and stool and result in difficulty in elimination of hard faecal matter.
1. Bad breadth
2. Tongue coats
4. Loss of appetite
5. Heart burn
1. Reduced intake of water or fluids
2. Lack of fibre in diet
3. Old Age
5. Some kind of illness in intestine
6. Use of pills and medications such as anti depressant
7. Damage to colon tissues
8. Neglecting the urge to go for bowel movement
9. Low physical exercise
10. Changes in hormones
13. Lead poisoning
14. Lactose intolerance
15. Excessive smoking
1. Eat aegle marmelos (bael), which is very effective in cleaning the intestine but it should not be taken in excess.
2. Drink warm milk before going to bed.
3. Eating orange (do not take just the orange juice) helps in movement of bowel.
4. Guava, grapes juice, pear, papaya, sapodilla, spinach leaves, cabbage, carrots, zucchini, beans, peaches, apples, raspberries and figs are beneficial against constipation.
5. Lemon drops can be mixed with warm water and taken two to three times in a day to get rid of constipation.
6. Betel leaves are effective in the treatment and can be taken with castor oil.
7. Honey mixed with warm water can be taken two to three times in a day to get relief from constipation.
1. Exercising is very important. Exercising in the morning helps in curing constipation. Drink lot of fluids in a day and reduce the intake of beverages such as tea, coffee or alcohol.
2. Triphala powder is made from the mixture of Emblica officinalis, Terminalia bellirica and Terminalia chebula and it can be taken two to three times in a day to get rid of constipation. It is a laxative and it helps in stimulating the intestinal walls to help in faecal elimination.
3. Psyllium is also effective in treating constipation.
4. Taking whole grains instead of powdered food in helps in digestion of food. Intake of white flour, cheese, biscuits, cakes, hard boiled eggs and sugar should be restricted.
5. Food should not be taken in a hurry and food should be properly chewed.
6. Freshly prepared food should be taken.
7. Sometimes, milk products cause constipation and if somebody suffers from lactose intolerance, milk should be avoided.
8. Food products such as ice-cream, cheese and meat should be avoided. Juices containing lots of sugar should be avoided.
9. Sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and flax seeds can be roasted powdered and mixed, and it can be taken in the morning before breakfast.
10. Cinnamon powder is also effective in treating constipation. It can be taken early in the morning before breakfast.
11. Taking regular meals is important. Unhealthy diet can cause constipation and if some drugs or medicines are causing constipation, you can ask the physician to replace it with another medicine.