Inflammation of the oesophagus is called esophagitis. The main reason for esophagitis is the back flow of food from the stomach to the mouth, which can be caused by autoimmune disorder or gastroesophageal reflux.
There are mainly two types of esophagitis: erosive and reflux. Erosive esophagitis is one of the commonest form of esophagitis, which can be caused by the taking some chemicals that causes inflammation in the esophagus and in such cases, immediately after you swallow a harmful or allergic substance, severe pain is felt on the esophagus.
Gastroesophageal reflux disorder (GERD): It is caused by the poor functioning of the lower esophageal muscles.
Common causes for GERD
1. Excessive vomiting
3. Problem in swallowing food
4. Burning sensation on throat
5. Bleeding in vomit or stool
6. Throat pain
7. Sensation of food on the throat or neck pipe
Treatment: Drugs and H2 blockers are used to treat acid reflux.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis: It is a problem in which, the eosinophills are elevated causing problems in swallowing food. Other symptoms of Eosinophilic esophagitis are diarrhoea, heartburn, chest pain and vomiting.
Chemical Reasons for Esophagitis: There are some medicines, which may cause burns in throat causing esophagitis such as aspirin, ibrufen, iron supplements, de-oxycycline (which is an antibiotic), and alendronate (used for abnormal heart rhythms).
1. It can be caused, when a person is suffering from HIV.
2. After organ transplant, Esophagitis may be caused.
3. Patients when treated with chemotherapy may suffer from Esophagitis.
4. Prolong use of steroids; prednisone and corticosteroids may cause Esophagitis.
5. People suffering from allergies, asthma, eczema or rhinitis may suffer from eosinophili esophagitis.
Candida esophagitis: It is caused by fungal infection in which the patient suffers from yeast infection caused by Candida and the problem may further increase if you suffer from diabetes or chronic health problems, such as AIDS or leukaemia, which suppresses the immune system.
The common symptoms of Candida esophagitis are oral thrush, fever and pain in swallowing food.
Treatment: Anti fungal medicines can treat Candida esophagitis.
Herpes esophagitis: The problem causes ulcers and inflammation in esophagus, and it is caused by viral infection caused by herpes simplex virus. The patient suffers from fevers, joint pains, chills and mouth herpes. Anti biotic can be used for treating Herpes esophagitis.
Cytomegalovirus esophagitis: It is caused by viral infection of virus - cytomegalovirus and the common symptoms are fever, pain in swallowing food and mouth sores.
Treatment: The treatment depends on the cause of the infections. If the patient suffers from some kind of bacterial or viral infection – antibiotics will be used to treat the problem but if the patient suffers from reflex, certain medicines are used to reduce acids. Drinking water helps in reducing esophagitis.
Some other common treatments are
1. Stop eating spicy food and food immediately before going to sleep.
2. Stop the use of alcohol or cigarette
3. Limit your caffeine intake
4. Reduce intake of high fat food